Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tri-zone automatic climate control

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2013, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tri-zone automatic climate control

Hello all,

I know I have read that previous model years this may not be an option but hoping something changed with 2013 models.

I just purchased a 2013 Suburban LS and was hoping to be able to upgrade to the Tri-zone automatic climate control from the manual one currently equipped. If there is a way to find out what senors/wires etc. I may need or if they are already there and I just need to swap out the control itself?

any advise would be great.

Thank you,
Old October 16th, 2013, 8:25 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

What you are suggesting is probably doable with enough time and money but it would be a definite tough slog.
Old October 16th, 2013, 4:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I am not sure the benefits outweight the issues. For instance, the paint on the buttons on the automatic climate control are notorious for wearing away in a short period of time. So you wind up with oddly shaped looking bright green blob on several buttons like this.

Your manual controls have no such issue to the best of my knowledge.
Old October 16th, 2013, 4:54 PM
CF Senior Member

really? Funny, we have no wear on our climate controls and they are push a lot! I believe converting requires the climate main computer, electronic vent controls, electronic heat and ac controls (dampers), the two or even three temp sensors in the ceiling, out side temp and humidity sensors, etc...

And probably even more than that... The digital stuff is quite involved.
Old October 16th, 2013, 6:10 PM
Administrator

The use of Armor-all and possibly other interior products is probably responsible for damaging the silk screening on any of the control buttons. I've been told but have not experienced it because I don't use Armor-all is that it will remove the electroless plated chrome on plastic parts. The reason I don't use Armor-all on anything is because of the lasting odor.
Old October 20th, 2013, 4:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
The use of Armor-all and possibly other interior products is probably responsible for damaging the silk screening on any of the control buttons. I've been told but have not experienced it because I don't use Armor-all is that it will remove the electroless plated chrome on plastic parts. The reason I don't use Armor-all on anything is because of the lasting odor.
No personal offense intended, but the common excuse of Armor All as a culprit for all things that go wrong is very old.
If it were that bad of a product, it would have been taken off the market or gone bankrupt by now. I don't use the stuff myself, but I ave heard way too many people say it is the cause of all the cracks in Chevy/GMC trucks, which is just absurd. Next thing you know people will say it is the cause of the peeling paint on the door handles.

BTW - My 2007 AV has the same problem as the one in the picture, and AA has never touched it. Many a GMC truck in their lot has the same problem, so go and see for yourself if anyone doubts me.

As to this subject about standard vs. auto climate control, I have both and do not see the big deal. How much of a difference do you all actually think it makes?

`
Old October 20th, 2013, 4:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

In defense of the Armor-all is to blame... it really will contribute to the current GMT900 body style dashes to peel.... the dashes are painted and any small nick or cut in the painted surface will allow the Armor-all to get in and under the painted surfaces and accelerate peeling....
The best bet is to clean with warm water a soft cloth and apply nothing to it after cleaning...
Old October 20th, 2013, 4:47 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Also Amazon carries the OEM replacement climate control panel for the GMT 900
Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-74023 GM Original Equipment HVAC Control Panel: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-74023 GM Original Equipment HVAC Control Panel: Automotive
Old October 20th, 2013, 9:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vector1
If it were that bad of a product, it would have been taken off the market or gone bankrupt by now.
Not necessarily true. I cite all of the additives such as STP that have been shown in lab tests to not meet claims. Throttle body spacers, cow magnets, and all of the other mpg improvers et al. Good marketing can sell anything.

As to Armor All, I only use it on the plastic inner wheel well liners as it makes them easier to clean. Not sure what the active ingredient is but saw a lab test that showed it was mostly water.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Question

Originally Posted by 73shark
Not necessarily true. I cite all of the additives such as STP that have been shown in lab tests to not meet claims. Throttle body spacers, cow magnets, and all of the other mpg improvers et al. Good marketing can sell anything.

As to Armor All, I only use it on the plastic inner wheel well liners as it makes them easier to clean. Not sure what the active ingredient is but saw a lab test that showed it was mostly water.
While I do not want to turn this thread into a referendum on Armor All, I will say that not living up to claims such as the examples you site, is much different than actually causing damage.
To that end, Armor All might not live up to it's billing, but that is still a far cry from it destroying dashboards/interiors.

I use Aerospace 303 with it's UV protection, and have never had any of my dashes crack or fade. Nor have I had any controls wear away the paint if I applied any type of dressing, which I doubt that I have.

Also, what exactly is the advantages/benefits of an auto climate control vs. a manual one?

`

Quick Reply: Tri-zone automatic climate control