Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

01 Suburban 4WD Switch

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Suburban 4WD Switch

I read a chevy forum I came across, and they mentioned that GM had a Tech Bulletin out on the switch for the 4X4. My lights are not showing up, sometimes it engages. Yesterday, it would not engage. It's like the buttons are not communicating with the module. Does anyone know about the switch being recalled or a fix? Is there a website for GM Tech Bulletins?

New Member, thank you for your help.
Old December 5th, 2007, 9:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 01 Suburban 4WD Switch

I had the same issue on my '99 Silverado. When I sold the truck earlier this year to my cousin there wasn't a recall though it's a known issue. There was a campaign to get GM to recall the switch ( a web site, can't remember where it is though). I found another site that said the issue was related to the proximty of the HVAC duct and the constant thermal cycling although I don't think that is the culprit.

I ended up buying a new switch (airtek is the OEM I believe) and putting it in the truck for my cousin. The board (cicuit board) is relatively unsupported and I imagine after repeated use the circuitry cracks from flexing. I used to be able to get the lights to work by pushing on it. Other times they would come off and come back on when I went over bumps hard. Supposedly you can remove the board and resolder it. I gave the old to my cousin as a spare so he could do that if the new one ever fails.
Old December 6th, 2007, 9:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum jdpfahl
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

I can try that (solder). What you described is exactly what is happenig. They go on and off. When I use the Auto, at times will engage.

Can you tell me where the circuit board is that you are speaking of. I was about to replace the module that sends the signal between the switch and the actuator. It seems though you are suggesting that it is a board that is read from the switch. Is the board on the back of the switch?

Thank you for your help. The module is 400 USD. My Dad works a GM Dealership, so I can get a discount. However, it appears that this is not the problem, I will check the board and for loose solders.
Old December 9th, 2007, 9:38 PM
CF Junior Member

The board is on the back of the switch. I think I bought one for $75 from the local chevy dealer. You can find them online too but they usually are about the same price as the dealer. DON'T BUY A USED ONE, for obvious reasons. You need to replace it or repair it.

You have to take the dash bezel off and then there are two (or three?) screws that hold the switch in. There's a board mounted to the back and and connector where the harness plugs in.

Wish I had pics from when I did it. It was very easy, just be gentle with that bezel, the plastic tabs like to break. Don't ask me how I know!

EDIT: I found this...

Link to a step-by-step guide for replacing the switch. *Note - This will help you if you decide to resolder it yourself too.

http://www.saltedwound.com/archives/...evy-silverado/

Good luck.