Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brake Controller Battery Hookup

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2010, 8:03 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Controller Battery Hookup

I thought I read in the manual I have to connect a wire under the dash to enable the power to the factory brake controller?

If I have the factory brake controller in my 09 tahoe, do I still have to do that?

We put new axles on my boat trailer this winter, I haven't wired the trailer yet (just wanted to get the axles on, wiring + lights this spring) when its NOT 20 degrees outside...

Once I have the trailer all wired up, 7 pin, do I just connect it, or do I have to pop the hood and hook up that wire?

seems stupid GM wouldn't just connect that wire, what lawyer came up w/that?

thanks!
Old January 13th, 2010, 8:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I thought I read in the manual I have to connect a wire under the dash to enable the power to the factory brake controller?

If I have the factory brake controller in my 09 tahoe, do I still have to do that?

We put new axles on my boat trailer this winter, I haven't wired the trailer yet (just wanted to get the axles on, wiring + lights this spring) when its NOT 20 degrees outside...

Once I have the trailer all wired up, 7 pin, do I just connect it, or do I have to pop the hood and hook up that wire?

seems stupid GM wouldn't just connect that wire, what lawyer came up w/that?

thanks!
I've not seen anything about an additional wire hook-up. Once you plug in the 7 pin you should see some indication on the DIC that the trailer is hooked up and that the electrical brakes are active. I haven't tried it yet though.
Old January 15th, 2010, 5:23 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I've got the trailer brake controller but haven't read about it yet. I did notice a wire w/ a ring terminal on it taped to the underhood harness next to the fuse box. I did wonder about what it was for.
Old January 16th, 2010, 5:22 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know they offered a factory controller. I would think that if it came with one it would be wired. I installed one on my 06 silverado and had to install the factory harness that was provided with the tow package, when I installed one in my 07 Escalade the wiring was there and it needed to be connected to the power supply under the hood.
Old January 19th, 2010, 8:04 AM
CF Addict

I will look when I get to it this summer i guess... I still need to wire the brakes on the trailer as well... thanks.
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
I've got the trailer brake controller but haven't read about it yet. I did notice a wire w/ a ring terminal on it taped to the underhood harness next to the fuse box. I did wonder about what it was for.
I think that extra terminal is to get AUX 12v output to the rear harness...
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM
CF Addict

Default power

which is for charging the battery on the brake system, correct? which is required when towing a trailer w/electric brakes... so why do they leave the stupid thing unpluged?
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

One less thing to short out...