Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

temp gauge moving

Old July 15th, 2012, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp gauge moving

I recently noticed temp gauge moving up and down. Added coolant as it was low. For several weeks temp gauge stayed at normal.. yesterday i noticed it moving again. I pulled radiator cap and its brownish around cap... Im afraid its a head gasket but want to know if it could possibly or hopefully be something else. Any thoughts? Thanks for ur help
Old July 15th, 2012, 4:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 99tahoeinwv
I recently noticed temp gauge moving up and down. Added coolant as it was low. For several weeks temp gauge stayed at normal.. yesterday i noticed it moving again. I pulled radiator cap and its brownish around cap... Im afraid its a head gasket but want to know if it could possibly or hopefully be something else. Any thoughts? Thanks for ur help
Might be, if it is the lower intake gasket, check for oil loss into the cooling system.
Old July 15th, 2012, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Kevin how would i check for that?
Old July 15th, 2012, 5:04 PM
CF Monarch

Kevin how would i check for that?
Pull the dipstick, If it is high, then you have that issue.
Old July 15th, 2012, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Checked oil. Actually looked a little low. Then checked coolant and it was really low. I added water and it took 3 mason jars of water to fill radiator.... I have no experience in dealing with this but if antifreeze is leaking into oil or vice versa shouldnt one of them have reallg high levels?
Old July 15th, 2012, 6:23 PM
CF Monarch

Checked oil. Actually looked a little low. Then checked coolant and it was really low. I added water and it took 3 mason jars of water to fill radiator.... I have no experience in dealing with this but if antifreeze is leaking into oil or vice versa shouldnt one of them have reallg high levels?
You will have to drive it, AND check the dipstick often. If the coolent is getting into the oil system, you will know it after a couple weeks. Less any external leaks.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If the oil looks milky you know for sure... a compression check may also help identify where the leak is
Old July 19th, 2012, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE... I drained the radiator tonight and put prestone flush in it. Ran it through and drained it. It was brown... But i realized i had added coolant a few weeks ago and that might have discolored it.. so i flushed it with water again and it still came out brown... Does that make sense? I did add bars sealant and then antifreeze and water.. ran it for over 20 mins and it never moved...
Old July 20th, 2012, 9:00 AM
CF Monarch

You're probably ok. Barrs leak is brown, but one can shouldn't change the color brown.
Old July 20th, 2012, 9:25 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well..

head gasket would mean that coolant is being burnt off through the exhaust. so you may not notice a leak, but you could see white smoke out the tail pipe...

but hopefully that isn't the issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: temp gauge moving