Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wanna hear before dumping $1k

Old August 26th, 2014, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna hear before dumping $1k

Hi, folks,

I got 05 Suburban LS 125,000 miles.

Finally, I have been to the dealership to have them check what happened to the 'check engine light' that 'has never lit' since purchase as used one in this past March. (I failed the 1st emission as soon as the purchase but the dealer,a mechanic who sold it did it himself by his "skillful" drive after I already had driven for the emission test over 50 miles a day for 4 days to no avail)

Today, the Chevy dealership told they diagnosed and found out the error code "P0650" and told me to replace both ECM and the Instrumental Panel Cluster, which meant I gotta spend over$1200.
Different from what I expected, the bulb replacement of the cluster is not available they told.

The cluster is perfectly functioning only except the check engine light.
The Cruise Control, TPMS, and 4wd are all OK. I wonder if the ECM controls all of them at the same time. If so, still wonder why only the check engine light doesn't work.

So, where should I begin without throwing $1.2K?

I have searched so many talks about the "P0650" on the internet as well as this forum for a couple of hours, but I don't seem to be able to decide by myself. This is the 1st GM to me and I am but a dumb about auto mechanism.

First of all,
Q 1)
Which can be the "step A" among the ECM or Cluster if thinkable?

Also,
Q 2)
Will it be definitely compatible to replace the cluster with a Denali one with the compatibility of the CC or TPMS? Anyone who experienced?
( I would prefer Denali or HD because Escalade's speedometer calibration goes like 20/40/60...still looking for your advice..)

I came to know this issue has something to do with the emission test so am concerned about the coming inspection.

All advisers are welcome and would really appreciate all the replies.
Thank you.
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:40 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully it is acceptable to post a link to another site. However, I would pull the cluster, check for bad connections around the wire harness, as well as the connector on the cluster. I would open up the cluster to check the connector, as well as connections around the check engine lamp. And if I found the lamp to be bad I would attempt to find a junked unit to get a lamp from, or from somewhere else like ebay and repair it myself.

This link seems to describe it pretty well, so I would start there:

P0650 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

Edit: If the lamp is good or I couldn't tell, I'd probably swap it with a known good lamp off somewhere else on the cluster, and try it to see if it was just the lamp or something else.

Of course this is all a moot point if your not good with this type of repair or troubleshooting, and soldering irons and such. For me this isn't a problem.

Last edited by {tpc}; August 27th, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old August 27th, 2014, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Check online- you can get an instrument cluster repaired for MUCH less than the dealer.
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

I rebuilt my own gauge cluster with parts I bought on ebay. I would check around and see what you could find on amazon and ebay. Junk yards could be a choice too.

I would not be afraid of trying to change out or upgrading...and sorry I am not sure what is compatible with the current or not. Hope that you have success.
Old August 28th, 2014, 8:04 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

For what its worth, the vehicle will run and operate without the IP in place, so if you want to pull it out and at least attempt to take it apart and see if you can repair it, you should be able to do that.
It is very likely you can repair it, the dealership will only replace it even though the tech may have the know-how on fixing it, if something else were to fail on it if they fixed it, it could turn into multiple trips, if they replace it with new, its usually once and done...