Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Question on a 2004 Chevy Suburban

Old December 21st, 2015, 12:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on a 2004 Chevy Suburban

My question is I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban that's AWD doesn't it have rack & pinion? As someone said with it being AWD it doesn't have it.

Why I'm asking if it has rack & pinion as we put a new power steering pump on it as we thought that's what was going as we were having trouble when you turn left as it was real tight and feels like it's going to lock up also it's making a noise like it has air in the line and a guy said it was the power steering pump and the air would work it's way out and not to worry so that's when we had the new power steering pump put on and that wasn't it as it's still doing the same thing.

Can anyone tell me if it sounds like the rack & pinion or gear box?

Last edited by TNChevy; December 21st, 2015 at 12:39 AM. Reason: It's more help then question
Old December 21st, 2015, 1:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Yes it does have a rack and pinion and it sounds like from what you are saying that it is a problem with the rack and pinion.
Old December 21st, 2015, 4:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Yes it does have a rack and pinion and it sounds like from what you are saying that it is a problem with the rack and pinion.
Negative, ghostrider. The GMT800 has power recirculating ball steering. Rack and pinion was available starting in 2007 with the GMT900 half-ton trucks. 3/4-ton and up still have recirculating ball.

AWD has nothing to do with it. My '09 Denali has AWD and rack and pinion steering. Very noticeable difference in steering between my Denali and 3/4-ton Burb (which has recirculating ball).

Last edited by intheburbs; December 21st, 2015 at 4:34 PM.

Search this Thread