Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

water leak

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2007, 1:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak

New to the forum, been reading for a few dayss. I have a 96 2 dr. 5.7 ltr.Tahoe . I love this truck and plan on spending,
(have already) spent $$$. Anyway, this is the first of many ?'s. I have a water leak on the passanger side in between the firewall or the door jam. It leaks on the passanger floorboard steady when it rains. I have a general idea where to caulk but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before I go nuts and glue my hood shut.
Old September 29th, 2009, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

1 have a 98 1500 and water comes out my blower motor evrytime it raines
Old September 30th, 2009, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Had similar issue with my 96 tahoe- also had several friends with '94 -'98 models that has same problem. Most likely is your heater core needs replacement. Pretty cheap but have to pull the dash and glove box out to get to it. Basically a small heat exhanger unit- should run about $60
Old December 27th, 2009, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

yeah i have the same problem with my 1998 chevy suburban mobile one kncoked out my antenna wire rubbers to run a amp power wire i took the wire out put the rubbers back and still water coming in my truck and it seems to be coming from something under the hump to my windsheild cracked on the passenger side right on the edge i gota replace that but the truck gets wet when it rains it even turned the carpet brown from gray i gota steam clean the carpet with the rug doctor but 1st i got to find that leak can some one help me i hope my heater core dont need to be changed that sound like and costly repair
Old December 27th, 2009, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default my heator works find

water only leaks in the car when it rains or washing it i dont have a antifreeze leak i have a new radiator my a/c works fine i just replace parts on that but my windshield cracked on the passenger side but it seems to be when water runns in the vents below the windsheild water comes in how much does a heater core cost to be replaced
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Talking i will fix my leak dont recommend though

im leaking on my passenger side so i will shoot foam spray swelling insulation that can hold against water i less then half way just seal the whole passenger side cowl box up and let the water drain out the driverside also i will silcone the cowl box welds inside along the driverside and see if that stop my leak cause my windshield crack and i got get a new one im not taking the dash down um get to the leak from the outside just wont have a passenger side drain as long as the driverside drain um good i know this will stop the leak so i dont have to replace blower wires etc now if my heater core goes out then i will silcone the insides when i change that i hope it could help somebody i just wana stop the water from coming inside my truck i dont care how it drains out
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Talking i rush that post

my typing not good hope you understand what i will do
Old December 29th, 2009, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Talking i sprayed the foam

just sprayed the foam on the passenger side of my cowl box where the rainwater goes waiting for it to swell up and cure it should stop the leak cause the water wont get to the passenger side foam will divert the water to go to the driver side where i dont have a leak lets hope that works cause it cost 8 bucks to foam that side up just hope my driver side to spring a leak
Old December 29th, 2009, 3:50 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be a little late to ask, but have you tried clearing the drain line for the AC?
I hate to hear about you spraying it full of foam, I'm a big fan of the 2 door Tahoe.
I have a 95 and a 97 and neither of them has this problem. In fact, my 95 gets washed off with a fire hose after a mud bog race and it stays dry inside.
Old December 30th, 2009, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up well about the passenger side leak 98 suburban

since i foamed the passenger corner of the rain resevoir box i got not leak just a pin drop where mobile one a auto sound installer knocked my antenna gomment out to run a amp power wire i replaced the gomment rubber and will silicone around that to make sure its sealed now i have to find a new spot to run my new amp power wire i will install my new sound system myself lesson learned when you want something done right if you can do it do it yourself mobile one ****ed me around with their installation and i paided them $2400 cash to install everything and now today im and ordering a complete system for my truck for just $545 i just have to install my new system myself i can take my time and do things right.

so guys check your antenna wire it run through the firewall below the glove box also there is some screws coming thru a wiring harness that was my problem but some of you might have other problems

as far as my ac drain line when my ac runs its cold, heater is good it doesnt leak my ac drains real hard to the ground when its running it was just when water got in the cowl box it flooded where that gomment was taken out it looks like its going to rain today so ill get a second opinion

now my windsheild is bad i already know i have to replace that next month but i got a great deal on top of the line auto products for my truck the year end sale so after i order that i will have glass company come out and replace my windsheild

Quick Reply: water leak