Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Water leak in rear cargo area

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2015, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak in rear cargo area

We have an '04 Tahoe, owned for 7 mo and has leaked of 7 mo. Dealer has resealed the back window, sealed around the roof rack. Had it in shop 7 times now. Nothing stops the water. It can be sitting, we can be driving and the water comes in.

Dealer is at a loss and so are we. I just want my cargo area back. Any thoughts on where the water might be getting in?!
Attached Thumbnails Water leak in rear cargo area-leak2.jpg   Water leak in rear cargo area-leak-1.jpg  
Old March 28th, 2015, 1:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Can you please describe in more detail what you are seeing ie - wet headliner, rug, top, bottom, left right.... thanks; leaks can be VERY frustrating - I have had two in our 93 Sub - found them both when dealer couldn't
Old March 28th, 2015, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned passenger side cargo area in first post. My mistake.
Headliner never wet, the one pic(not sure why they are turned after upload) shows where the water appears to start coming into the cargo area then drips down the plastic paneling/molding to the carpeting. Some times it is just running in, other times a slow drip. Positioning of vehicle(flat/sloped) seems to make no difference. That window was taken out and resealed as was the driver side one as well. Dealer is trying anything and everything to fix it.
Didn't know if any other owners had a similar leak in the back.
My husband is about to tear it apart himself and look for it. Thought I would try and ask on here before he did tear it apart looking. We have just been relying on dealer to find it.
Thank you and sorry first post was so vague. Rookie mistake.
Old March 28th, 2015, 2:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Trying to get oriented - is the second pic wet spot rear bottom corner by rear door? When our 93 had a rear leak, it was coming in around the tail light and slowly filled up the space between the quarter panels - it was holding several gals of water and would slosh out onto the rug under the spare tire. The entire rear rug would get soaked over time. Sealed the light and great since 95. I have seen others that vintage with the same leak - one gal had given up and her carpet was actually growing mushrooms lol!! I also had a leak water on front passenger side. To find it, hooked a hi volume blower (like you see used to dry water damaged rugs) from the outside to a side window and sealed with duct tape. Turned it on and poured soapy water over the problem area - lots of pretty bubbles showed the leak origin. That leak was body seam under quarter panel below windshield. Good luck!
Old March 28th, 2015, 8:35 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Sunroof?
Old March 29th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Raise the lift gate and inspect the boot seal where the cables pass through the body... that is where water was coming in on my 07.....
See if this thread applies -> https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...ch-leak-64651/

Old March 14th, 2016, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

i have an 07 tahoe with the same problem.has anyone tried to silicone around that boot to stop it form coming in?? its kind of a hack fix but the dealers are no help..thoughts
Old March 18th, 2016, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

ok so the leak in the rear that you described is def the boot where cables/ electrical passes through. I had the same problem and took black rtv silicone and sealed all around it. You can check with a garden hose but i will guarantee thats where your leak is!!
Old March 18th, 2016, 4:16 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by blackLTZ
i have an 07 tahoe with the same problem.has anyone tried to silicone around that boot to stop it form coming in?? its kind of a hack fix but the dealers are no help..thoughts
With the boot fully seated correctly it should seal without issue unless the rubber has rotted. I used a silicone paste, (not the kind that hardens) to help aide in slipping the boot back in and helping in sealing. Mine has worked/sealed fine ever since.
Old March 19th, 2016, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Isn't there a cabin vent in the right rear pillar?

As I recall, and I am working from Suburban information only, I believe there is a louvered vent, behind the vertical trim panel that sits atop the larger applique where the rear heater blower is located. I thought that there is a rubber, or rubberized flap, covering the vent that allows it to swing outward to vent cabin air at the rear.

Possibly your vent flap has dislodged and arranged itself to scoop in drainage from outside in that area and funnel it inside the cabin. The location seems very right for that issue. Some trim panel removal tools ( those red plastic wonders - worth every penny you pay for them ) make removing the trim pieces quite easy and fast in order to check.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Water leak in rear cargo area