Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

weird issue: rear lights and dash panel lights not working

Old January 8th, 2013, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird issue: rear lights and dash panel lights not working

Hi,

Hoping that someone may have had a similar weird problem. I have a '94 suburban 1500. The rear night lights don't work (front do, and the rear brake lights work fine). The light in the instrument panel also doesn't work, but the bulbs in the panel work.

I did just replace the transfer case with one from a scrapyard, but I can't think how this would have affected it. I also had my stereo ripped off and put in another (which involved a spaghetti of wiring), but I'm sure the lights worked after that.

I've checked all the fuses and they're good. There are a few spaces in the box, but I'm guessing they are for things I don't need ("glo"). But it's possible one fell out. My manuals don't explain the cryptic shorthand that's marked on the fuse box though.

Any suggestions for things to try would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm limited to driving between the hours of 6am and 5pm!

-Buck
The following users liked this post:
Ricky Sonnier (December 10th, 2020)
Old January 9th, 2013, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Hey buck,
When you put in your aftermarket stereo did it have a wire for lighting? Usually this is an orange wire that would be connected to the dimmer or dash light wire. If so I would start by disconnecting that one wire and see if the problem is still present. I can't recall for certain but I think the dash lights also control the park lights so if the orange wire is not the case, I would say the headlight switch is.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Thanks Ghetto Burb,

That makes sense about the stereo. Unfortunately, I unplugged any/all leads to the stereo but couldn't get the panel light back. It's possible that the two are unrelated and that I just need to replace a bulb...

-Buck
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a fuse for your tail lights. I know you said you checked them but double check. They are on the same circuit so when the fuse goes for your tail lights it takes out the dash lights so you know something is wrong.
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

I have had a similar prob that was found to be a faulty dash light switch module. Removed dash, unplugged module replaced module, replace dash, turn on new switch and viola!
Old October 15th, 2022, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wierd issue

Originally Posted by ebacon
I have had a similar prob that was found to be a faulty dash light switch module. Removed dash, unplugged module replaced module, replace dash, turn on new switch and viola!
I have the same issue but with blinkers and dash lights, i flipped to all LED on front and now well no dash lights, even environmental lights. Digital screen works