Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What battery are you using in your '07 Tahoe?

Old April 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What battery are you using in your '07 Tahoe?

So about 3 weeks ago, my battery died in my Tahoe, due to my daughter playing in the driver's seat and leaving the parking lights on. Almost more than a year ago I was told I needed to replace the battery. I never replaced it. It starts the SUV just fine, no hesitation. So I recently went looking around just to see if I could find a DieHard replacement, NO LUCK! I went to Wal-Mart, NO LUCK! I think I found a direct replacement from Interstate, but the website was a little shady, and I didn't want to get ripped off. So my question to those who have replaced the OEM battery in their 07 Tahoes, what battery are you currently using? Part numbers please! I'm looking for a battery with a ton of CCA'S that will fit in the stock battery holder properly. I've noticed the battery holder has sort of a "long notched" area where the battery holder fits into. Thanks in advance!
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a yellow top optima battery. It will be the last battery you will need for a VERY VERY VERY long time. I've had the same battery in three different trucks now spanning over seven years. The battery has completely died three times(due to excessive stereo use and lights being left on) and after a jump it recharges itself and it's been running as good as it's ever been. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended. Trust me, it's worth the money. Plus you can find a good deal on one anywhere.

Deez
Old April 26th, 2009, 1:08 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I got mine at Sam's Club. Just looked up the OEM replacement and it fit fine. It's a PITA to have to remove a brace just to get the old one out.

Considered an Optima but almost three times the price was a deal breaker. Not sure I'd have the truck long enuf to pay off. Plus I'm not sure this new charging system is good for battery longevity.

Last edited by 73shark; April 26th, 2009 at 1:13 PM.
Old April 26th, 2009, 1:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Hey Shark, can you elaborate on the "new charging system"? I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of the vehicle as most people on here are. =) Thanks.
Old April 26th, 2009, 1:28 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Basically it only charges when needed and lets the battery run down a lot more than the old system did. If you look at the voltmeter, at times it be fairly low and at other times it's high. Supposedly saves gas cuz the alternator is not loaded all of the time. If it does, it's a miniscule amount.
Old April 26th, 2009, 2:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info.
Old April 26th, 2009, 4:34 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine with a AC Delco,since we get most of our parts from a company called "Delcoline" and we are a acdelco TSS shop they warrentied it and it cost me nothing
Old April 26th, 2009, 6:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for a starting battery, and not a deep cycle battery battery, take a look at an Optima Red Top. This is a starting battery, like the one you're replacing. It's not a deep cycle battery as the Yellow Top is. It has a higher CCA than the Yellow Top. I used a pair of Red Tops for years in a Dodge Ram Turbodiesel. On a winter morning, the grid heaters used at prestart pulled 180 amps for 45 seconds, and it started like a charm. At 5 years, they were still doing fine when I parted with that animal truck.

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; April 26th, 2009 at 6:38 PM.
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
SLO
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading about all the issues people are having with batteries on the 2007 and 2008 Tahoe and Suburbans. We have an '07 Tahoe LTZ and the battery already has a bad cell. I decided to replace it with an Optima Yellow Top becuase of the way the charging system works. It tends to let the battery run down a bit before the alternator will kick in to charge. With the accecories on the LTZ and Z71 models (such as Nav, DVD, etc), that is really hard on a typical battery. A deep cell battery like the Yellow Top is much more resistant to constantly discharging and recharging.

I wanted to point out that although the Optima website doesn't list a compatable battery for these vehicles, the D35 (part number 8040-218) is a perfect fit and is the only one that has the terminals on the correct side and doesn't require any modification.
Old May 13th, 2010, 1:21 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default D35

D35, will keep that in mind. Mine's under warrenty until 5 yr 60,000.... they have already covered the battery once for me... after that's up I will get a yellow topper... I had a red in my last Tahoe, loved it. lasted 6 years not a problem once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What battery are you using in your '07 Tahoe?