Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 Tahoe - coolant hot warning

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 Tahoe - coolant hot warning

So we were heading to the beach today in the Tahoe (5.3L) and got a coolant hot warning from the dash. It was very low on coolant and causing air pockets to form in the system. It went into the red when idleing at a stop, I put in neutral at the red lights and kept the engine reved at 2500 rpm to push the air pockets thru until I got home to look at it, reving the motor caused the temp to lower to a safe level(well at least the guage went to normal). I take it super hot air was hitting the temp sensor? It was 2 gallons low, its the wifes car and I dont get to look at it as much as my truck. I noticed there was drops of coolant in our driveway for the last few days. But noting leaks after I refilled it with the dreaded dex cool, ( man that $h!t is expensive) and burped out all the air with the cap off.

Before I get dirty jacking it up & crawling under it to see if there is a leak I have a few questions.

1- Can coolant get that low if it has not been checked in over 2 years with no leaks?

2- Could the drops be from the surge tank blasing out the overflow line if a super heated pressureized air pocket releases the overflow valve on the cap? I ask this because when I opened it any know it was low it surged the tank to the top, then drained back into the system after the air was released.

3- last, is there any common problems with cooling systems that anyone knows of with this model, water pumps, hoses, etc..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; August 29th, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

It can evaporate somewhat, I think two gallons is a much too large amount to have evaporated off. Be wary that you could have a leaking intake manifold gasket.
Check and tighten all the heater lines, radiator hose, etc.
Old August 30th, 2009, 9:27 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

make sure your over flow tank isn't leaking
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Thanks for the replies, I will check those areas.
Old August 30th, 2009, 5:34 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Check your oil too. Although if you got two gallons of coolant in there, I doubt the engine would still be running.
Old August 30th, 2009, 5:52 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Will do, I will look at it tonight and see what I can find, its too hot out right now to lay on the concrete. I kinda have the feeling that its a slow leak from the water pump and its been leaking for a few months, I just dont drive it everyday, my wife does. I blame myself for not checking it as much as my truck.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I finally got time to look at this further, it is in fact a leaking water pump. I had to add a quart of dex today and noticed it wet coming from under the water pump. Its a very slow leak & it looks like I will have a days work coming soon on this one, same with my truck but it only looses a quart every 4 months. Typical , water pumps last about 5 ,6 years, its just time for them.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike your 2500 looses water?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Default My 2500 Silverado pump

Yeah, the dealer told me a year ago when I had it checked before my move to Ca. They said "we can replace the pump for $700 some od dollars" pfffh, I said I will take care of it. I have only lost a little less than a gallon since then, not bad but still need to get it done before a failure.

I will do the Tahoe first since it looses coolant faster, about a half gal every month.

Here is NAPA's price for a new one for my 6.0 silverado, Any comments on NAPA's water pump qualitys? Its the same part # for my Tahoes 5.3 motor as well.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6>Water Pump - New

</TD></TR><TR id=ctl00_mainContent1_ucHTMLContent_ctl00_TrNoDeta il><TD id=ctl00_mainContent1_ucHTMLContent_ctl00_TdNoDeta il vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR id=ctl00_mainContent1_ucHTMLContent_ctl00_trDiscou nt><TD id=ctl00_mainContent1_ucHTMLContent_ctl00_tdDiscou nt vAlign=center align=right colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR height=120><TD align=middle>

</TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>Click on image to see enlarged view</CENTER>
<INPUT type=hidden value=28589088 name=prrfnbr>
<SELECT id=ctl00_mainContent1_ucHTMLContent_ctl00_image_vi ew style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt" onchange=SetImage(this) name=ctl00$mainContent1$ucHTMLContent$ctl00$image_ view> <OPTION value=http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/670537.jpg selected>Bottom</OPTION> <OPTION value=http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/593259.jpg>Top</OPTION></SELECT>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><SCRIPT language=javascript> function ViewImage() { var imgSrc = (document.getElementById('PartImage')).src; var newWindow = window.open(imgSrc, 'popup_win', 'width=450, height=450,toolbar=0, location=0,directories=0,status=0,menuBar=0,scroll Bars=0,resizable=1'); newWindow.focus(); } function SetImage(obj) { var imgUrl = obj.options[obj.selectedIndex].value; var imgTag = document.getElementById('PartImage'); imgTag.src = imgUrl; } </SCRIPT><TD></TD><TD>Item#: TFW45005

Price: $139.00
tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Attributes:
Product Features:These O.E. Equivalent Water Pumps Have A Unitized Seal To Protect The Bearings & Provide Leak-Free
Long-Life Performance. The 1-Piece Bearing Assy Has Factory Sealed Bearings That Are Computer Matche
# of Outlets:4
Material:Cast Aluminum
Rotation:Standard
Timing Belt Driven:No
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; September 22nd, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 9:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go ahead and use the Napa part. There is nothing wrong with napa parts. It will be way better than a auto zone part. The water pump is very common on these trucks. The 5.3 intake does not carry any coolant so you never have to worry about that.

Quick Reply: 03 Tahoe - coolant hot warning