Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

When will Tahoe 3rd Row FOLD?

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2010, 3:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will Tahoe 3rd Row FOLD?

Unless I'm mistaken (which is quite often) the Tahoe/Suburbans of today still don't have a third row that folds...we either get to flip 'em up or find someplace to lug them and store em -- which is always fun.
Anyone have any idea if Chevy is ever going to offer this option (ahem - standard) on the Tahoe -- Looking to buy something one of these days and wouldnt want to miss out on something as small - but as large of an option as that by a couple of months. (to the heck with the Traverse and why has Ford had it for almost a decade?)
Old January 28th, 2010, 3:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The third row on both the Tahoe and Suburban fold and flip.

From what I understand, they will not fold flat until GM goes to a IRS. There was a planned redesign for 2012 that MAY have included fold flat seats, but last word was that the redesign was canceled.

If you must have fold flats, both the Expedition and Expedition EL have them.
Old January 28th, 2010, 4:26 PM
CF Junior Member

really? --- that is just unreal-- we have an 04 Tahoe so I have plenty of fun with the ones we already have--- just dont understand why they cant implement something as simple as fold flat seats (sorry - left the flat out before)---
each company may lag behind one another in certain aspects -- but within a year or two the other "brand" gets the drift-- not after a decade---it took GM right at that to put in filp down consoles on their standard work trucks after dodge came out with in the early 90's...
thanks for the response--- still like the chevy though--- we'll see what happens
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by thisnthat
really? --- that is just unreal-- we have an 04 Tahoe so I have plenty of fun with the ones we already have--- just dont understand why they cant implement something as simple as fold flat seats (sorry - left the flat out before)---
each company may lag behind one another in certain aspects -- but within a year or two the other "brand" gets the drift-- not after a decade---it took GM right at that to put in filp down consoles on their standard work trucks after dodge came out with in the early 90's...
thanks for the response--- still like the chevy though--- we'll see what happens
It is not that simple. In a body on frame truck with a live rear axle, there just isn't enough room to have the seats fold flat if you want to have a reasonable amount of headroom and cushion. I drove the Expedition and even with IRS, I thought it drove rougher and felt less refined than the Chevrolet. For me, the IRS was just a liability (more maintenance, more half-shafts, more things to break) not a benefit. I think that splitting the seats into two removable sections with wheels makes them as easy to use as possible in this config.
Old January 29th, 2010, 7:31 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fold Flat 3rd row

yea, this would have been so nice... my 3rd row is in my attic... from now till... i move out?

the NNBS, the GMT900 (07+ tahoe) was supposed to have an IRS, however it was dropped... shame too, would ride even nicer... according to wikipedia...

power folding is also the way to go... if you really need a 3rd row, get a suburban, else you lose all trunk space anyway...
Old January 29th, 2010, 4:47 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I think the power folding is only for the 2nd row, at least it is in my Escalade.
My 3rd row stays folded up all of the time.
Old January 29th, 2010, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default They DO fold

The 3rd seat in my Burb folds down, then flips forward against the second row for more room. It also pulls out for maximum room. I think this is ideal, as it gives the most options.

In order to have the seat fold into the floor, the entire rear floor would have to be raised higher in order to have enough room to put it. There is no magical free space between the floor and the underside of the truck. Under the floor is an axle. This means that the floor would be higher, making less interior room for both sitting and cargo hauling. You'd be trading lots of space for what I think is very little convenience.

IRS would provide more room under the truck for this idea, but IRS on such a large rig is a bad idea. There are may more parts to fail, and the system as a whole is weaker than a solid axle. Also, towing anything with IRS eats bearings. That's why I ditched my '02 Explorer with IRS - 4 wheel bearings in 2 years, and I only towed tiny trailers (single jet ski, 10' utility) with it.

If you haul cargo a lot and people seldom, take it out and leave it at home unless you know you are going to need it. If you mostly haul people and seldom cargo, leave it in, and still have the option of folding it and flipping it forward for extra cargo room.

If you haul both, do what I did - get a Suburban. Same rig, ~3 feet longer, better suspension and more towing/hauling capacity.
Old January 30th, 2010, 4:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I know the Acadia and Traverse are built on a different frame -- but (at least the Acadia) is very close in dimensions to the tahoe and it has the fold flat third row seats---understood the seats have to "go somewhere"--(tahoe's seats are understandably larger) but just the simple fact GM is "leaving" the option out right now....do i have the answer - no --- but I bet they already do and are sand bagging it for the next redesign.....why release the best and greatest at one time?
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by thisnthat
Looking to buy something one of these days and wouldnt want to miss out on something as small
You may not to wait too long as I suspect that a truck based Tahoe is on the way out for Obama Motors.

Traverse is just a heavy minivan.
Old February 8th, 2010, 7:26 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Acadia and Traverse

the Acadia and Traverse are unibody, correct? I have never looked under them, but I don't think they have a real 'frame' under them... this allows you to do more cargo wise, but you lose stength... I think they pull 3500? tahoe tows 7200...? The explorer goes unibody in 2011.

Quick Reply: When will Tahoe 3rd Row FOLD?