Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Where's the best place to install amps?

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2007, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's the best place to install amps?

I'm looking to add in some amplifiers to my stereo system. Where's the best place to install these? My Tahoe is used for a lot of hauling, so having the whole back end as a subwoofer box and apm rack is not acceptable.

Under the back passenger side, i have a gun safe, so thatarea is taken. I need to run a couple amps for the front door, rear doors, front tweeters and rear cargo speakers. The Sub will have the amp mounted directly to it.

Any ideas?

Hardwarz
99 Tahoe, 4 door, 4x4, Vortech 350 with Tow package
Old October 17th, 2007, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Where's the best place to install amps?

What about mounting an amp under the back driver side passenger seat? Also, I have heard of a few people installing an amp in the compartment where the jack goes I just dont know how big of an amp you could actually install there. Another idea if you wanna get creative you could install an amp in the center console since JL does make stealth boxes for the center console you gotta be able to fit an amp there.
Old October 19th, 2007, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

You couldgive up about 4" in height and do a false floor in the storage area with a couple of 12 volt fans or utilize a 5 way amplifer from Memphis , PPI, Phoenix gold etc that would give you 75 watts x4 and a fifth channel for your subwoofer. This biggun could be under the passengers seat and cut down the power runs and give a 1 peice solution. Just my 2 cents.
Old October 19th, 2007, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

I was actually thinking about this, but not for amps, for rifle storage. I could do both, but the thought of trying to get to the jackwhen I have a blow out doesn't seem like a fun time. Any ideas for building a false floor and still be able to get to the jack?

Hardwarz
Old October 19th, 2007, 2:38 PM
CF Junior Member

i wanna do the same thing. i dont wanna put 3 10s or 12s jus yet cuz i dont wanna take out the 3rd seat.

wat kinda head unit did u put in there hardwarz? and u changed the stock component speakers as well rite?
Old October 19th, 2007, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Truthfully, I haven't had time or $$ to put into her. I have an old Pioneer head with IR steering wheel mounted remoteand the Sony speakers are just sitting at home along with my JL Audio sub, amps,tweetersetc. I'm only going to run a single 12" JL (got young kids and I don't want anything too loud.)

It's been a decent, good looking work truck and I need the cargo space.

Hardwarz
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: Terd Fergeson

i wanna do the same thing. i dont wanna put 3 10s or 12s jus yet cuz i dont wanna take out the 3rd seat.

wat kinda head unit did u put in there hardwarz? and u changed the stock component speakers as well rite?
Im planning on using an Audio Control adjustiable level control LC-6 under the front of the center console to drive an Aura RPM 4200 4 channel amp with a 200 watt mono sub amp. Front components will be Phoenix Gold Rsd6.5c, rear door Phoenix Gold Rsd6.5 coaxials. Sub will be a Cadence 12 in a sealed box 16x16x18. Now if I can just figure out how to get the dang A pillars off as well as the door panels things will be just peachy.

Amps will reside under the front seats, components in the stock locations. Using the Factory HU to keep 6 disc changer, OnStar, XM and all steering wheel controls.

I have plans for an enclosure that will work with the third seat down or up, just have to allow some extra speaker lead to make the move. If you would like a copy, just pm me.

Good luck

R
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:23 PM
CF Active Member

well you can install the amps to the back ofthe rear seats. it has a metal plate an d you can srew to it the amps.