Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wind noise

Old February 27th, 2007, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise

I have an 07 LT Tahoe. I am experiencing a wind noise (and some other rattle, sounds like something loose on drivers side) that sounds like a wind leak in the upper portion of the windshield. I have a GM bug deflector on. I have had it in to the dealership and they say it's a "common" cabin noise. I did decide to take the bug deflector off and noticed the wind noise did go away, however when I did I noticed the wind noise is horrific on the driver and passenger side doors. Any one have any suggestions or similar problems?

I can either get low noise on passenger/driver side doors w/ bug deflector on or I can take bug deflector off and get a windshield noise whistle. I just can't be convinced this is "common" cabin noise among the 07 Tahoes.

I still have to go back in to the dealer to get the rattle above the rear dome light/head liner fixed. Rattles drive me crazy.

Thanks for any replies!
Old February 27th, 2007, 6:15 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Wind noise

I have the same noise on the drivers side. Passenger side is pretty quiet. Sometimes it sounds like a thin piece of rubber is flapping against metal. I have looked underneath and all around and I don't see anything that is loose enough to cause that. I even took off the mud flaps I installed to see if that was the culprit. I am going in for an oil change on Friday and am going to have them look at it.

Welcome to the forum.
Old February 27th, 2007, 6:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your mirror. I had to put a thin piece of rubber in the gap where it swivels or it gives a LOUD whistle starting up at 15and going until over45 mph.
Old February 27th, 2007, 7:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a wind leak at the bottom of the windshield. Pop the front dash trim panel up then with someone else riding with you drive ~ 60 and have them move around to locate the wind leak. The bottom of the windshield is a low pressure zone and it is near impossible to pinpoint by yourself
Old February 28th, 2007, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

All great suggestions. The sound you describe Schorner is exactly what I'm hearing. Like you I can't pinpoint the cause. Tonight on the way home I was almost thinking that rack on top was causing it. It's definately a stumper. Some times it sounds like it's in the wheel well other times it sounds like it's "rapping" right above the driver side windshield. If your dealer comes up w/ anything I'd be curious to hear about it. I was not successful with my dealer for the windshield whistle. I'm going to try popping up the trim as konasmrz suggested. That trim, closests to the windshield, just pops up huh?

Thanks again for the warm welcome to the forum, and the great replies!

Old February 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

OK

I've been waiting for a thread like this....

My experience is as follows

High pitched whistle that sounds as though it is right outside the driver side window at low speeds.

Also, I am currently working in Kansas....when I am up to Interstate speed my passenger side window makes a loud rumbling wind sound as if the door seal is not working. Much worse when the wind is a cross wind from driver to passenger side. I have looked at the door seal & can't see where any damage, dings, or gaps may be.....

As you can imagine wind is a daily occurence around here......

I plan on taking it to a dealer, but I am currently working six days a week in BFE Kansas & the closest one is 40 miles away.....
Any suggestions
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dogpack3, that whistling noise is probably the mirror noise I mentioned earlier. While you are driving and hearing the noise, reach out and fold your mirror back. See if the whistling stops.
Old February 28th, 2007, 6:09 PM
davemec

My Tahoe had the whistling noise on the driver side and when I pulled the mirror in it would stop. When I told the dealer they were able to find a TSB on it and put some insulation in the mirror and now the whistling is completely gone. The TSB # was 06-08-64-012.

I also had it to the dealer today for a loud wind noise coming from the driver side door. They again found a TSB but I need to go back to have the work done. Sorry but I don't have that TSB#. The fix was something to do with changing out the bolts on the door hinges to make them close differently or something like that. I'll let you know when I get this work done and if it actually causes the noise to go away.
Old March 5th, 2007, 7:20 PM
WWT
CF Beginner

My wife's Tahoe has the same noises from the driver's side. It has been to the dealer twice, but they have not been able to solve the problems. They tried the foam in the mirror for the whistle to no avail. Did the TSB work for the wind noise?
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:36 AM
davemec

The TSB worked for my mirror. They did say that they tried it initially and the sound was still there but then they added more and it finally went away. I am still waiting to hear about setting up an appointment to take care of the wind noise through the driver door.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wind noise