Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wind noise

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2007, 3:15 PM
davemec

Default RE: Wind noise

I had this TSB fixed the other day by the bodyshop at my dealership and the sound has gone away. I do not have the actual TSB number with me, but when the service department did a search they found something under wind noise through driver door.
Old June 11th, 2007, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: konasmrz

I had a wind leak at the bottom of the windshield. Pop the front dash trim panel up then with someone else riding with you drive ~ 60 and have them move around to locate the wind leak. The bottom of the windshield is a low pressure zone and it is near impossible to pinpoint by yourself
Konasmrz,

Would you mind providing a bit more detail on what you did to fix the problem? I have a wind noise that "sounds" like it is about 6" up the a-pillar, but can't seem to locate the source, even with taping up every seem on the front left of the vehicle. Did your noise sound like it came from the bottom of the windshield?

Any help would be appreciated. It's exasperating and the dealer, of course, can't hear the noise.

Thanks,
gl
Old October 2nd, 2007, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

I have the simular issues with my brand new 2007 Tahoe. There is significant wind noise that starts at 45MPH and gets much worse. It is unbearable at65MPH. It sounds like it is coming from the driver's side door. There is a TSB on the driver side door and wind noise. Unfortunately two appointments with the dealership has not led to a resolution. I am now on my third time and the dealership is saying there is nothing more they can do. I really don't want to get rid of this car because I really like every other aspect of it. Unfortunately the noise is so loud that it interferes with me hearing other people in the car and listening to the radio. Does anyone have any other suggestions on this? The dealership is saying that I should consider a buy back or a lemon law return. I would rather the car just get fixed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich

Old October 2nd, 2007, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have the exact problem with my '07 LTZ, wind noise starting at 45 MPH. I've been to 3 dealers and they each have tried different fixes. They've replaced the hinge bolts in the front doors, replaced the rubber seals aroundboth front doors, adjusted the frontroof rack crossbar back 6". The bottom line: It's the configuration (large and irregular shaped)of the mirrors according to the 3rd dealer. All of the dealers agreed the wind noise exists, but can not correct the problem. According to the final dealer all '07 Tahoe’s have the same issue. I did ask for a buy back, but was denied by the area representative. I also opened a case filewith GM, however the buy back is up to the area manager. The next step is to contact the Better Business Bureau Auto Line. Like you, I really would like the problem fixed. With all the testing performed prior to releasing this model you'd think GM would have delimited the wind noise. Hopefully, GM will come up with a fix soon.
Old October 9th, 2007, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

I had my Tahoe to the dealer again today. They looked at the insulation in the door, no go. They also had taken off the mirror to determine if that was the issue. They said it had no effect. I am now talking to Chevy to have a regional engineer out to look at the issue.

Rich
Old October 10th, 2007, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Rich that was a great idea to have them remove the mirror...wish I'd have thought of that! I also tried to have a engineertake a drive with me, but the service manager said the vehicle was operating properly.Once the service manager reported to GM the Tahoe was operating properly,GM would not authorize the engineer. Good luck on your next step and keep us posted.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same loud wind leak on the drivers door. I never complained about it because i feel there are tons of other little issues i dont like. mybe i will be taking it in soon for the noise.
Old March 26th, 2008, 1:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything ever come out of this? I am on my second 2007 tahoe and the second one seems to have a lot more cabin/wind noise than the first 2007. Almost sounds like it is the mirrors.

I put chrome mirror covers on the bottom and have in channel vent visors, anyone think this may be part of the issue? I had the same two items on my first one and never had this much noise.
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Try the dollar bill check of your door weatherstrips.
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried a piece of paper. I could pull it out in every door, it wasnt super tight but wasnt falling out on its own either.

I am 99% sure this is a mirror issue. Since I got it I have always thought to myself, "damn" that mirror is causing some loud as road noise. From the cab it sounds like it is coming from the mirror area, or something ouside of the vehicle, it doesnt sound like a door molding or weatherstrip issue. It is something catching air that shouldnt be.

My first 07 didnt have the power fold mirrors, this tahoe does have them. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Even my fiance' who doesnt pay attention to anything realizes there is a problem. Our last 07 Tahoe was so quiet, we loved it. This 07 Tahoe is noticably louder and on a windy day it is damn hard to talk to someone in the second row seat without raising your voice above a normal talking level. With the radio on, wind noise, my4 year old son talking, I want to go crazy. HOwever, turning my son and the radio off only makes the wind noise more noticable further pissing me off!

How many with this issue have the power folding mirrors?

Quick Reply: Wind noise