Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Windshield cracked sitting in driveway

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2007, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield cracked sitting in driveway

I parked my 2007 in the driveway and when I came out about an hour later the windshield was cracked starting from under the windshield wiper on the passengers side up about 15". Glass had spalled out of an elongated area abut 1/2 in long near the beginning of the crack. Nothing hit the windshield, I believe this was a spontaneous crack, maybe caused by a flaw in the windshield. Has anyone else had this happen on an 07?
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Windshield cracked sitting in driveway

Are you surethat nothing hit the windshield? Couldn't the spalled area be an impact area?
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
CF Active Member

I bet a rock hit the windshield before without necessarily leaving a mark and then either the temperature variance between inside and out made the window crack. I had this happen to my Malibu Maxx when going through a touchless car wash. Basically the hot wax went on and 'crack' went the windshield... didn't bother saying anything to the wash place since nothing of theirs actually hit the windshield. Bet its the same kinda thing with yours.
Old September 4th, 2007, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

The spalled area is almost under the windshield wiper, just on the edge of the blade. I guess anything is possible, but I will let the dealer look at it today to see if it is a defective windshield. I'm used to seeing a star when a rock hits the windshield, and you "hear" that.
Old September 4th, 2007, 1:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or while you were inside the house, some kids a block over from you were trying out their new slingshot with ball bearings.
Old September 5th, 2007, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Same thing happened to me, driving into my drivway POP and the winshield was done and my Tahoe had 1800 miles on it. Dealer said they havent had a problem, something must have hit it. There were no signs of damage or debri that chipped it anywhere. $260.00 later I have my new windshield installed.
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

The windshield on my 2007 Malibu cracked in the driveway this morning - I am confident that there was not a 'ding' in the windshield anywhere near the crack. It cracked in almost a semicircle right around where the defroster is (I live in CT and there was plenty of ice and snow on the windshield). I'm going to go through the pain of trying to have the warranty cover it, but I will probably have to put in a claim on my insurance....

Not too happy - the car is only 8 months old... will this happen every winter?
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Just got my windshield replaced on my 07 tahoe...when I took it to the dealership they explained to me that if there is a crack on the windshield aka stress fracture, they will replace it through the warranty but if they see an impact spot from road debris it was out of my pocket. Unfortunately mine was a pebble so I went through my insurance and luckily I had 0 deductible for winshields so my insurance covered it. my .02
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:43 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aznsoda.
What your dealer told you is the correct way to handle this concern.
It is very easy to tell if the windshield was damaged by an object or a stress fracture.
While stress cracks are not very common they can occur and GM will replace the windshield under warranty if that is the case.
Old December 15th, 2007, 7:45 AM
CF Active Member

Many states require insurance companies to replace windshields for free.

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked sitting in driveway