Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wood/leather stearing wheel???

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2007, 9:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood/leather stearing wheel???

Anyone replace their stock leather stearing wheel with a wood/leather one? If so, how do you like it? Where can you get it (I saw it on line once but can't find it again)? How hard/easy was it to make the swap? Thanks!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 4:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Wood/leather stearing wheel???

It's not hard to swap out the wheel. Go to AutoZone, they will lend you a 3 arm stearing wheel puller. Get the wheel off, put the new one on and give the tool back to AutoZone and your done. It should only take half an hour if that.

The hard part is parting with the $400.00 for the wood and leather wheel...
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Seems like there was another thread dealing with this cuz I remember ZX mentioning some cautionary words re: air bag connections and their fragility.
Old September 24th, 2007, 9:04 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No steering-wheel puller required to remove the wheel.

Just a 13/16" sparkplug socket/ratchet a small allen wrench do release the airbag latches and a smallt flathead screwdriver to remove the delicate airbag clips.

Total time to R&R the wheel is less than 10 minutes, smack the wheel rim upwards towards you with the palm of your hand to release it after the nut is removed, be careful not to hit your face with the wheel when it pops loose.
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM
CF Active Member

This is the best price I've seen so far - $279. It has dropped quite a bit in the last couple of months. Please post pictures if you make this change, I'm still considering doing this myself. Thanks...

http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...e.php?cat=7337
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
CF Active Member

ZX,

Could you please post alittle more detailed instructions?? Or PM them to me? Where is the nut located and how do you get to it...also, you state to release airbag latches and airbag clips...I read somewhere else that you do NOT want to do this as it will result in airbag deployed light coming on and replacement parts are $80...thanks!
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
CF Addict

First you need to remove the airbag:

On the back side of the steering wheel, there are 2access holes which directs the tool to the release retainer. The middle holes are for the module removal. Using a 3-4mm wire or 4mm allen type wrench, push the retainer inward and slightly upward through the access hole. Repeat the step for the other access hole.[ol]Release the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer, you must be very careful with these they break very easily and it is hard to get replacements.Disconnect the electrical connectors.[/ol]After the airbag module is removed then the steering wheel is removed:
[ol]Disconnect any electrical connectors as needed. Loosen the steering wheel nut until two to three threads are left engaged. Wiggle the steering wheel until it disengages completely. Remove the steering wheel nut and steering wheel. [/ol]

Old September 24th, 2007, 9:05 PM
CF Senior Member

ZX, should we disconnect the negative battery terminal for safety reasons before starting the job?
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
CF Addict

That should go without saying anytime work is performed on any vehicle.

I always reserve the right for everybody to use common sense.

Also make sure the vehicle is parked, don't attempt to swap out the steering wheel while you are traveling down the Interstate.

If I have to start posting disclaimers then I'm just going to stop posting all together.
Old September 25th, 2007, 1:32 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

That should go without saying anytime work is performed on any vehicle.

I always reserve the right for everybody to use common sense.

Also make sure the vehicle is parked, don't attempt to swap out the steering wheel while you are traveling down the Interstate.

If I have to start posting disclaimers then I'm just going to stop posting all together.
Yeah, I hear what your saying...

I just brang that up because I didn't want anyone to start tearing into the ARS with the battery still connected and "POOOOOFFFFF" is the next thing will be reading here.

Quick Reply: Wood/leather stearing wheel???