Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wouldn't start on a good battery

Old July 11th, 2011, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wouldn't start on a good battery

Here's a weird one. 2001 Tahoe. 65,000 miles

It a new truck to me. Drove it 2,000 miles then last week noticed it was struggling a bit to start. Had the battery tested at Advance Auto and he said it sounded fine. The charge was a little low so I bought a charger and put it on overnight. The charger went about 12 hours (10 amp) and said it was done.

All the list worked that day as I cleaned it but never started it. The next day I tired to start it but it just clicked. After that none of the lights or electrical would even work. My battery tested said it had a full charge.

A few neighbors and I were all perplexed. How could this be?

Another neighbor showed up and wanted to listen and this time it started right up.

I don't want it to strand me here but I also don't know where to start looking for a problem? Any suggestions?
Old July 11th, 2011, 3:38 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a bad connection on the main battery cables. Check both ends. There's also a big fuse and I think from reading another post that it's on the firewall on psgr side. in2pro can confirm.
Old July 11th, 2011, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

We checked everything. Cables were on tight. I'll check that fuse, but I can't imagine it's the culprit. It can't be blown because it starts now without doing anything to it.

Perhaps it was loose, but we didn't touch anything over there before it miraculously decided to start.

Thanks for the help.
Old July 11th, 2011, 8:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlukasavige
We checked everything. Cables were on tight. I'll check that fuse, but I can't imagine it's the culprit. It can't be blown because it starts now without doing anything to it.

Perhaps it was loose, but we didn't touch anything over there before it miraculously decided to start.

Thanks for the help.
I would pull and clean the connections anyhow just to be sure... it wouldn't hurt to make sure they are cleaned and getting a nice connection...

:chug:
Old July 11th, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlukasavige
Here's a weird one. 2001 Tahoe. 65,000 miles

It a new truck to me. Drove it 2,000 miles then last week noticed it was struggling a bit to start. Had the battery tested at Advance Auto and he said it sounded fine. The charge was a little low so I bought a charger and put it on overnight. The charger went about 12 hours (10 amp) and said it was done.

All the list worked that day as I cleaned it but never started it. The next day I tired to start it but it just clicked. After that none of the lights or electrical would even work. My battery tested said it had a full charge.

A few neighbors and I were all perplexed. How could this be?

Another neighbor showed up and wanted to listen and this time it started right up.

I don't want it to strand me here but I also don't know where to start looking for a problem? Any suggestions?
If that charged at that rate for that time, you have a dead battery. It could be the alternator NOT charging, but at 10 amps 12 hours no way.
Old July 11th, 2011, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

I wish I could write it off as a dead battery. I had it tested like I said and they said it was good, just slightly low. They'd try to sell me one if it was even close.

If it was dead, it wouldn't have started later that day. And we've been driving it all day since then (multiple starts) without a problem.

I will clean the cables to make sure.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Check the wires to the alternator or even get the alternator checked at autozone. When cleaning the terminals use dialectic grease! Using anti-cease and other lubricants will be your best friend later down the road...
Old July 12th, 2011, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Thegnarles
Check the wires to the alternator or even get the alternator checked at autozone. When cleaning the terminals use dialectic grease! Using anti-cease and other lubricants will be your best friend later down the road...
Thanks, I will. Advance Auto told me the alternator is good and gave me the printed report. I'll take it to another shop for a second opinion though.

I heard the alternator can get corroded, but I'm not sure how to check that.

I'll clean the terminal posts and wires. I'm just hoping this doesn't happen again.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with post above, short of it being a starter going bad the most logical suspect would be a poor connection.
The starter is not getting the amperage it needs, you may be able to see 12+ volts at every battery point connection but if the connection is corroded or broken down from excess current draw it won't provide the power needed to turn the starter over...

Check the cables for any hard or stiff areas where the corrosion could be inside the cable jacket, pay particular attention to any areas that have nicks or cuts..
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I agree with post above, short of it being a starter going bad the most logical suspect would be a poor connection.
The starter is not getting the amperage it needs, you may be able to see 12+ volts at every battery point connection but if the connection is corroded or broken down from excess current draw it won't provide the power needed to turn the starter over...

Check the cables for any hard or stiff areas where the corrosion could be inside the cable jacket, pay particular attention to any areas that have nicks or cuts..
Thanks! Makes perfect sense to me. I'll clean the terminals and check the cables for corrosion build up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wouldn't start on a good battery