Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

07 Steering column removal **pics**

Old November 24th, 2012, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink 07 Steering column removal **pics**

How to remove the steering wheel column to replace the steering wheel position sensor associated with CEL code 0455

Sorry I don't have pics of these 1st steps
  • Lets first start by starting the truck and centering the steering wheel and tires as best possible so the truck would drive in a straight line. Next move the drivers side seat all the way back to it's farthest position to give you some room to work.
  • Pop the hood and remove the positive battery cable. Let the truck sit for a few minutes as there will be a residual charge on the system that could trigger the air bag, directly from the FSM.
  • Now we move to the inside of the truck we remove the kick panel just under the steering wheel. Remove the fuse cover panel that is located to the left of the steering wheel between the door jamb and the very outside of the dash.
  • Take a 10 mm socket and unbolt the E-brake release
  • unscrew the two phillips screws at the very edge of the kick panel under the steering wheel. now just above these screws, approximately, the panel is held in by metal "V" pressure clips, you will need to be careful but will also need to pull with a "smooth" but forceful to get them to pop off.
So now basically this is what you should see. All the under wire stuff and bracing. Where my finger is pointing is a brace held on by four bolts. Remove the bolts and take the brace out. Just behind there is a heating duct that will need to be removed. On the left side of that duct it is held to a support by a christmas tree push pin. Gently pry the push pin out and now just pull the duct out. All is going well so far

• Now we will remove the clam shell cover around the steering wheel itself, sorry no pic. It is the housing around the Hazard, shifter, turn signal.
  • 1st we take a channel lock or pliers and remove the lever that allows you to raise/lower the steering wheel. Grab it firmly with the tool and pull straight out towards the drivers side door. Should just pop out.
  • Next there are 3 screws under the steering wheel remove those screws. F'in dealer that replaced my 1st sensor was to lazy or stupid to re-install mine, this is where my lack of confidence in dealers !!!! Always taking short cuts, now my screws are missing !!!
  • Next we will break free the clam shell cover. It has 4 locking tabs 2 on each side front and rear. Side a flat blade screw driver in front or rear I did front and gently pry open till you can pull apart with you hands. Remember this is a trim piece you see every day. Take you time and don't scratch the trim or break it. You should now be able to remove the clam shell exposing the electronics and connections of the steering wheel.
  • Now we will remove the shifter linkage. black cable with a yellow center. It's just a ball and socket. Take a screw driver or just pry it off, it just pops off

• Now we remove the shifter cable from the support bracket that is welded to the steering column. There is a clip holding it in place take a screw driver and just pry the clip out.

• now we remove it from its seated position, push the 2 tabs on each side in to release the cable from it's holder.

• ****There is one connector you do not want to try to remove, it needs to be disconnected at the left side kick panel it is to the right of the black/blue connector with the plastic sheathing around it disconnect the yellow plug see 2nd pic below****

• now we need to start to remove the sea of connectors. I recommend you get a sharpe and label them 1,2,3 a,b,c what ever works for you. Start removing very carefully the electrical connectors from the steering wheel.

You should now have all the kick panels off, all electrical connectors removed and be ready to disconnect the steering column itself. Pretty easy so far I'd say.
  • Look towards the floor you will see where the steering shaft goes through the firewall, it is connected to a U-joint. You will see a bolt, nut and "L" bracket. Take a 15mm socket and remove the nut and then push the bolt through. I took a paint pen and drew a line for reference, not sure this is necessary but I did it anyway.

• Now if you look up under the dash you will see 4 bolts holding a bracket on, that is what is holding the steering column to the structure of the truck I"m guessing 15mm socket but I actually forgot. Remove those 4 bolts and grab the steering wheel and push down the steering wheel will come free.

• At the very base of the steering column where you removed the bolt with the "L" bracket there is a wire welded to the column with a strong cable threaded around it. Not sure what this cable is but it needs to be un-wrapped so that you can pull out the steering column.

OOHH OOHHH what the hell fell, don't worry !!!!! There are 2 spacers that go between the bracket and the structure of the truck, closest to the firewall. You will just need to put them back when reinstalling the steering wheel. I used some anti brake squeal to, kinda like glue, to hold them in place when I put it back together.

Well if all went well so far you should have an image similar to this.

I brought the column into the house for no particular reason other than convenience. We will now remove that POS sensor

• There are 3 push locks on the black sensor housing cover that is on top of the green housing, push them in and remove the black housing cover

• Now place a flat blade screw driver into the tab and gently pry up this will move the sensor up out of the housing so that you can grab and pull it out/up it is snug just pull firmly.
  • **** when installing the sensor you need 2-3 mm spacing between that black tab on the sensor and the green housing. I used the width of the flat blade screw driver it's very close. SO remember this very important !!!!!!! so this pic serves double duty removal and instal !!!! ***
The sensor being slid off the steering shaft.

You have successfully removed the POS sensor that is notoriously failed many a GM owner and saved yourself about $500 unfortunately the part is $125 but my family is on cost savings so any money not going into someone elses pocket is a good thing.

Now assembly is just everything in the reverse order. Remember to leave that 2-3mm gap in the sensor as shown in the pic. I hope this helped someone as I was very disappointed in the information given on the web regarding this known problem. Check brake fluid, take to dealer, low tire pressure type of answers are utterly useless why people even take the time to post a response like that.....the more I read like that with no good info just made me madder so I made this in hopes that it is something of actual value to someone.
At least you can decide if this is a project you have the skill to tackle or take to a mechanic or dealer. You now have some solid information to make an informed decision on, not check your brake fluid......

Last edited by slyder941; December 2nd, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old November 25th, 2012, 7:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you swapped out the entire column the theft deterent won't like it.

Were you just replacing the steering position sensor?

Last edited by tech2; November 25th, 2012 at 7:55 AM.
Old November 25th, 2012, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I just replaced the steering wheel position sensor as I had a code C0455, again.
My original steering column went back into the truck.
Old November 26th, 2012, 5:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I sure the pics will help someone else

Last edited by tech2; November 26th, 2012 at 5:57 PM.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
I sure the pics will help someone else
I agree. I will try and sticky this in the DIY portion of the Tahoe Burb forum
Old October 12th, 2013, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

?any way to test this steering position sensor prior to removal?
Old February 24th, 2016, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happened to the photos????