Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

08 Suburban remote start wont work

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2011, 9:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remote start

If the check engine light is on it will not work. Also if any of the doors or liftgate/liftgate glass are open or not closed all the way, I dont think it works either.
Old December 14th, 2011, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Suburban

I have the same issue with my 2007 Suburban. Currently my check engine light is on, and my remote start wont work. But it's intermittent, the check engine light will stay on for a while, then go off. I've noticed that when it does come back on, its usually when i'm idle. For example, if im sitting at a light, or waiting in a drive-thru line or something. Could it be a sensor related to the remote start that's faulty?
Old December 14th, 2011, 9:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation remote start

Originally Posted by mercracing
If the check engine light is on it will not work. Also if any of the doors or liftgate/liftgate glass are open or not closed all the way, I dont think it works either.
Re-read
Old December 15th, 2011, 9:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

turfpro102,

There are several possible reasons why the vehicle's remote start would not start the vehicle. Here are a few possibilities:

The vehicle can only be started with the remote twice before having to start with the key. The vehicle will automatically shut off after 10 minutes unless a time extension has been done. If the remote start is pressed again, after being started, it will extend the running time by an additional 10 minutes. Once two remote starts or a single remote start with one time extension has been done, the vehicle must be started with the key.

Additional possible causes: the vehicle cannot be started if the key is in the ignition, the hood is not closed or if there is an emission control system malfunction and the Check Engine light is displayed. The engine will also turn off during a remote start if the coolant temperature gets too high or if the oil pressure gets low.

It is also possible that the remote may need to be reprogrammed. To reprogram the remote, the vehicle must be in park. Instructions are as followed:

1. Press the trip odometer reset stem until RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays.
2. Press and hold the trip odometer reset stem for three seconds. The message REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE will display.
3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first transmitter at the same time for about 15 seconds. On vehicles with memory recall seats, the first transmitter learned will match driver 1 and the second will match driver 2. A chime will sound indicating that the transmitter is matched.
4. To match additional transmitters at this time, repeat Step 3. Each vehicle can have a maximum of eight transmitters matched to it.
5. To exit the programming mode, you must cycle the key to LOCK/OFF.

I hope one of these options resolves your remote start issue. If not, I encourage you to visit with your local dealer. They should be able to assist you further.

For your reference, the information provided here is also available in your owner's manual.

Remote Start: pages 2-9 & 2-10
Relearn Remote Key: page 3-64

A digital copy of the manual is available at the GM Owner Center at: GM Owners Center - GM. It is free to join. The Owner Center provides you with a digital copy of your owner's manual, stores your service records, allows you to schedule an appointment with your dealer and many other amenities all available at no charge to our loyal GM vehicle owners.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
turfpro102,

There are several possible reasons why the vehicle's remote start would not start the vehicle. Here are a few possibilities:

Additional possible causes: the vehicle cannot be started if the key is in the ignition, the hood is not closed or if there is an emission control system malfunction and the Check Engine light is displayed. The engine will also turn off during a remote start if the coolant temperature gets too high or if the oil pressure gets low.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Not true with my 2007 Suburban. I start my truck every morning with the remote start and one of my keys in the ignition. It's possible that if the driver door was not opened and closed after the vehicle was shut off it may not start.
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Update: I tried to start my truck with my primary key in the ignition and using my primary key fob and the truck would not start. But... when I leave my primary key in the ignition with the primary key fob the truck will start using my second key fob. Go figure.
Old December 16th, 2011, 8:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Spicoli,

Were any of the options posted able to resolve your remote start problem?

Have you tried reprogramming the key fobs?

I'm confused as to why one would need to remote start their vehicle if they have the key in the ignition. Could you please clarify?

I look forward to your response. If you have any additional questions, please contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 17th, 2011, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Well my check engine light was on. I got that issue fixed and the light is off now and the remote start works. Thanks guys
Old June 7th, 2013, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to bring up an old thread but...

I have the same problem... I have an 07 Suburban... No CEL on..

Have a few other issues too...

Radio only works in drivers door speaker
Drivers side rear window does not work from door but works at drivers door
Passenger window rolls down but not up at door, works at drivers door

Any suggestions?
Old June 7th, 2013, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Suspect the door switch is either bad or a bad connection. Could be a broken wire in the tube between the door and the B pillar.

Quick Reply: 08 Suburban remote start wont work