There are several possible reasons why the vehicle's remote start would not start the vehicle. Here are a few possibilities:
The vehicle can only be started with the remote twice before having to start with the key. The vehicle will automatically shut off after 10 minutes unless a time extension has been done. If the remote start is pressed again, after being started, it will extend the running time by an additional 10 minutes. Once two remote starts or a single remote start with one time extension has been done, the vehicle must be started with the key.
Additional possible causes: the vehicle cannot be started if the key is in the ignition, the hood is not closed or if there is an emission control system malfunction and the Check Engine light is displayed. The engine will also turn off during a remote start if the coolant temperature gets too high or if the oil pressure gets low.
It is also possible that the remote may need to be reprogrammed. To reprogram the remote, the vehicle must be in park. Instructions are as followed:
1. Press the trip odometer reset stem until RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays.
2. Press and hold the trip odometer reset stem for three seconds. The message REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE will display.
3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first transmitter at the same time for about 15 seconds. On vehicles with memory recall seats, the first transmitter learned will match driver 1 and the second will match driver 2. A chime will sound indicating that the transmitter is matched.
4. To match additional transmitters at this time, repeat Step 3. Each vehicle can have a maximum of eight transmitters matched to it.
5. To exit the programming mode, you must cycle the key to LOCK/OFF.
I hope one of these options resolves your remote start issue. If not, I encourage you to visit with your local dealer. They should be able to assist you further.
For your reference, the information provided here is also available in your owner's manual.
Remote Start: pages 2-9 & 2-10
Relearn Remote Key: page 3-64
A digital copy of the manual is available at the GM Owner Center at: GM Owners Center - GM
. It is free to join. The Owner Center provides you with a digital copy of your owner's manual, stores your service records, allows you to schedule an appointment with your dealer and many other amenities all available at no charge to our loyal GM vehicle owners.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.
Have a great day!
GM Customer Service