Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

1994 4l60e to 700r4 swap question(s)

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 1:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1994 4l60e to 700r4 swap question(s)

Please read the whole post before writing a comment that i wont like, thanks.

I'm having too many issues electronically with this tranny (4l60e) and have come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna go pick up an old 700r4 that was freshly rebuilt at a screamin deal of a price this Sunday. My main concerns are that I know I'll need a new TV cable, and that I will constantly have a service engine light on until I can either erase the ECU's memory of the electronic tranny, or swap it out for an ecu that came in a manual vehicle (another issue).

Perhaps I should've mentioned this in the beginning, I have a 1994 k1500 suburban. My knowledge of these trucks is limited, I am a very skilled mechanic (NOT a technician) so I know my way around most pre 2005 vehicles. I have limited diagnosis skills but about 85% of the time, I can figure out what's wrong before replacing anything.

My main questions I have are, for the swap I know I will need a TV cable for sure, and eventually a new ecu or modify my current one. But what else do I need?? I'm gonna assume (correct me if im wrong)I also need a geometry to attach the TV cable. I'm sure im more than likely I'm going to have to swap the input and maybe the output shafts from the 4l60e to the 700r4, and maybe the neutral safety switch. My main concern is the tcc lockup, since I will be driving freeway frequently, im sure this will be vital, especially if I use cruise control (which is rare) and also for some sort of fuel economy benefits.

Also will my original torque converter bolt right up or will I need a new one/ new flexplate??

I have little experience with tranny swaps, but I do know both these trannys are pretty much the same except one is electronically controlled and the other is not.

Any input is much appreciated and thanked for in advance.

PS do not try to convince me to rebuild the 4l60e and fix its electronic issues, my mind is set on this swap, and I'm just looking for some extra input.

Thanks and have a great day!!
Old March 24th, 2016, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an 01silverado w 5.3 and 4l60e can i use a 700r out of an 03 silverado w 5.3 with no problems ????
Old March 24th, 2016, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

i might need help figuring out this site im in lol but if some one can see my question id be much obliged if somebody could help me out with that question
Old September 20th, 2019, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default What steps do I have to take to make the swap possible?

I am having the same problem I'm just curious of what steps I have to take to make the swap possible, another mechanic on Google mentioned that you may have to swap out the valve bodies I know there is a way to convert it and somehow bypass the computer I'm just unsure of how to go about doing it any input would be greatly appreciated
Old September 2nd, 2020, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default 94 4l60 to 700r4 swap

Originally Posted by cory74700
Please read the whole post before writing a comment that i wont like, thanks.

I'm having too many issues electronically with this tranny (4l60e) and have come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna go pick up an old 700r4 that was freshly rebuilt at a screamin deal of a price this Sunday. My main concerns are that I know I'll need a new TV cable, and that I will constantly have a service engine light on until I can either erase the ECU's memory of the electronic tranny, or swap it out for an ecu that came in a manual vehicle (another issue).

Perhaps I should've mentioned this in the beginning, I have a 1994 k1500 suburban. My knowledge of these trucks is limited, I am a very skilled mechanic (NOT a technician) so I know my way around most pre 2005 vehicles. I have limited diagnosis skills but about 85% of the time, I can figure out what's wrong before replacing anything.

My main questions I have are, for the swap I know I will need a TV cable for sure, and eventually a new ecu or modify my current one. But what else do I need?? I'm gonna assume (correct me if im wrong)I also need a geometry to attach the TV cable. I'm sure im more than likely I'm going to have to swap the input and maybe the output shafts from the 4l60e to the 700r4, and maybe the neutral safety switch. My main concern is the tcc lockup, since I will be driving freeway frequently, im sure this will be vital, especially if I use cruise control (which is rare) and also for some sort of fuel economy benefits.

Also will my original torque converter bolt right up or will I need a new one/ new flexplate??

I have little experience with tranny swaps, but I do know both these trannys are pretty much the same except one is electronically controlled and the other is not.

Any input is much appreciated and thanked for in advance.

PS do not try to convince me to rebuild the 4l60e and fix its electronic issues, my mind is set on this swap, and I'm just looking for some extra input.

Thanks and have a great day!!
the 4l60 and 6l70
Old September 2nd, 2020, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default 94 4l60 to 700r4 swap

The 4l60e and 700r4 have the same tail shaft and input shaft size. The 4l60e does not have a governor like the 700r4. I just did the swap on my 95 k1500 suburban. You will need a tv cable to hook to the throttle. I wired the lockup inside the pan with a dual post pressure switch. As soon as I hit 4th the converter locks up. I wired the external wiring with 1 ground and 1 on keyed power. The vss is in the transfer case. Just make sure that the tv cable is adjusted properly. Your local parts store will have the attachment for the throttle for the tv cable. There is a hole on the bottom of the throttle where the attachment goes for the tv cable