Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2003 Chevrolet Suburban LT - Airbag light stays on

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2017, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevrolet Suburban LT - Airbag light stays on

The airbag light and 'service airbag' appears on the display on our 2003 Chevy Suburban LT (~160k miles).
We've had issues with the airbag light before (it would stay on, then go off and wouldn't stay on again for a month or more). In December the light came on and stayed on. Vehicle was due an inspection last month so we took it to the dealer. The dealer got all excited and ran >$200 worth of diagnostics. Codes: B0044 and B0092. Estimate to replace airbags is approx. $1,000. Is this really what these codes mean, or does the module need replacing? If we replace the module would it need to be 'reset'? And, I'm not really sure where to look to find the module to get a part number. We're checking under the seat connections, but haven't found anything amiss so far.
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 8:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Default I had a similar problem with my 04 Burb

The first code, B0044 means Driver Frontal Deployment Loop Stage 2 Open and the code B0092 is PPS passenger detection error. I had the B0044 issue and it turned out to be a frayed wire under my drivers seat. I assume it has the airbag in the seat so find the wire harness coming down from that area and trace it to its connectors. If you pull the seat all the way up and raise it as high as you can it will make life easier. Follow those wires and you should find the connectors under the seat and with any luck find the break in the wire. I found through my research that this happening to the wires is a common issue and some pay through the nose at the dealership for a quick and easy fix. The other code i have not experienced but i did find this information .......

This DTC B0092 is involved in some GM vehicles, there is a known TSB. So if you own an Escalade, Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Yukon, or other vehicle, be sure to check for a TSB first. Please note that TSBs are not meant for do-it-yourself type folks. TSBs are intended to be used by GM technicians. However the first steps to perform is check the wiring and connectors and make sure wires are not pinched, broken, etc. If visually OK, check the circuits for continuity and resistance per factory specs. Verify operation of the PPS and replace if necessary. More specifically this is a snippet on how to diagnose the GM B0092 error: Ignition ON, the PPS should turn ON the PPS ON/OFF indicators. Verify the PPS illuminates the PPS ON/OFF indicators. - If the Passenger Air Bag ON/OFF status indicator does not illuminate refer to Passenger Presence System Indicator Circuit Malfunction Ignition ON, use the scan tool. Go to the PPS menu, then retrieve the DTCs. Refer to Passenger Presence System Flash Code Procedures . Verify no PPS DTCs are set. - If the PPS has any current or history DTCs stored, you must address the PPS DTCs first. Refer to the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle Ignition OFF, disconnect the PPS module connector Remove the SDM connector Test the occupant sensor serial data circuit for an open, short to ground, or high resistance between the PPS and SDM connector. Verify no open, short to ground, or high resistance exists. - If any of the above conditions are found make the appropriate repair. Test the PPS ignition 1 voltage and ground circuits for a short to ground, a short to voltage, a high resistance, or an open. Verify no short to ground, a short to voltage, a high resistance, or an open exists. - If any of the above conditions are found make the appropriate repair. If all circuits test normal then replace the PPS."

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/b0092
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Old March 3rd, 2017, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your suggestions and experience. This will give me something to check out this weekend! I believe I remember seeing something about a DTC on another site, but couldn't/didn't find a copy of that particular one. I guess these are very close-hold...it certainly wasn't something the dealer offered up. 'Appreciate your post!