Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

door locks not working

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2011, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door locks not working

Hello everyone.I have an 01 tahoe.my door locks will unlock with the fob and lock switch but only the driver door will lock with them.I had the actuators in the passenger side doors and rear driver side door replaced.it fixed the problem but they stopped working again.I noticed that both times It happened I was using the lock switch in the rear by the hatch.besides replacing the actuators again and not using the lock switch in the rear,does anyone know what may be causing that to happen?is it an easy fix?Thanks for any help you may provide.
Old March 27th, 2011, 9:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. These lock actuators are basically DC motors. They only have two wires going to them. The lock/unlock function is just the motor turning in one direction or the other depending on the voltage polarity. All the switches should be wired up in parallel and thus the rear switch is probably a coincidence.. Based on the symptoms you described, I'd say the LOCK relay is not passing enough current, one or more of the door lock actuators are drawing too much current, or they are defective. You can try a new relay easy enough but then you'll have to disconnect/inspect/troubleshoot the actuators one by one.

Last edited by EinST; March 27th, 2011 at 9:38 AM. Reason: Corrected to LOCK relay
Old March 27th, 2011, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.I'll get on that asap.its not a problem when I'm riding alone but every time someone gets in they start pushing buttons and unlock all the doors then I have to go around and lock them manually