Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

'99 Suburban with flickering lights

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
tde
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '99 Suburban with flickering lights

Hi,

I've googled this topic and have seen a variety of somewhat related issues so I know I'm not the only one...

I have a '99 Suburban with a weird light issue. At first I thought maybe a door was ajar, but even after checking the doors and the back it still occurs.

While driving, if I hit a bump or potholes, all the interior lights flicker on then off. This occured last night and was extremely annoying...haven't noticed if it also occurs is the daylight (ie, without headlights on). Headlights and dash stayed lit as they should, but the overhead lights and the floor lights blinked over bumps.

I also noticed that when climbing in or out of the passenger door, that floor lamp alone will flicker by itself accompanied by a fast clicking noise I think it's a relay under the dash...it seems like something somewhere is loose so every time the vehicle bumps or jostles, the lights blink.

Anyone here wise enough to have an idea what the problem is, places I should check, or parts that may need to be replaced here? I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tde; March 22nd, 2011 at 1:54 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like a door jamb switch or the wire leading to it is shorting out. That circuit is supposed to be open with the door closed. Maybe the one in that passenger door?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 1:03 PM
tde
CF Beginner

I think it is the passenger door jamb...I went out and played with it and it seems to push in and out okay, but maybe when I hit bumps it pushes in slightly, triggering the interior lights for a second before releasing again.

This is a new truck to me, so I don't know the answer to this one, but does the '99 Suburban have a door ajar or headlights alarm that sounds to let you know you have an open door/left your headlights on?

Last edited by tde; March 22nd, 2011 at 3:24 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 2:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I hate to hi jack this post ...but can any one tell me how I can start a new post or get "permisssion to do so?" I do not see a "New Tread" tab.

Last edited by Rob G; March 22nd, 2011 at 2:11 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 5:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tde
I think it is the passenger door jamb...I went out and played with it and it seems to push in and out okay, but maybe when I hit bumps it pushes in slightly, triggering the interior lights for a second before releasing again.

This is a new truck to me, so I don't know the answer to this one, but does the '99 Suburban have a door ajar or headlights alarm that sounds to let you know you have an open door/left your headlights on?
Without looking at it myself, it's hard to tell if and where the short could be. I think the driver door jamb switch is monitored for when you leave the key in ignition, pretty standard stuff.

Originally Posted by Rob G
I hate to hi jack this post ...but can any one tell me how I can start a new post or get "permisssion to do so?" I do not see a "New Tread" tab.
Go to an appropriate forum and then look for the "New Thread" button on top left?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 8:48 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob G
I hate to hi jack this post ...but can any one tell me how I can start a new post or get "permission to do so?" I do not see a "New Tread" tab.
Go to a main topic and at the upper left is a "New thread" button.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
tde
CF Beginner

I put some electrical tape on the passenger jamb to build it up a little and see how it went. Hitting one of the bumpiest roads around here the flickering still happened at the same level as it did previously.

On the way home I decided to wrap some tape on the driver jamb and see what happens...still happened, but not as frequently. When I got home I checked the driver jamb more closely and found that the flickering occurs when the jamb wiggles slightly side to side as well pushed in and out. I added tape around the base to try to keep it from moving while driving and the flickering only occured once.

I also drove with the Overhead Override and didn't have any problems with any flickering so I'm pretty sure the driver door jamb needs to be replaced.

As for the lights/door/key monitoring...I don't think my truck does it so there must be a short as well, or would that all inclusive problem with the flickering as well?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

It sounds like you're making progress. If you decide to replace the switch, be very careful with it because the act of prying it out may make it fall apart. The electrical connector may even fall in and need to be fished out. On the key in ignition alarm, I'm not sure anymore. Look in the owner's manual at Chevrolet Owner Manuals - Factory Warranty, features and options, and maintenance explained?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 8:49 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

If they're still using the plunger style switches, they try unscrewing the switch and cleaning the threads on the jamb and the contacts.