Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya baby!! Another successful fix thanks to all of the contributors of THIS THREAD!! My DIC, Odometer and Gear indicator went out suddenly. After finding this thread, I was able to fix for FREE with just a dab of solder and a solder iron on the bottom tab of the MOSFET just like the earlier posts. Thanks guys!!
Old April 17th, 2014, 9:05 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Excellent! thanks for the follow up post that it worked for you... that is what makes the forum work when folks follow up with what did and didn't work for them...
Old April 17th, 2014, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

One tip... when marking the needle positions with tape, stick the tape to the palm of your hand a few times to "dull" the adhesive. This will ensure that the tape doesn't leave any adhesive behind.

I did NOT do this, and my masking tape left some "stickiness" behind that needed cleaned off. I took a q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol and wiped it off no problem. However, you can now see where I cleaned. I believe there is an anti-dust or anti-glare coating of some sort on the gauge plate and the alcohol took it right off where I cleaned. It isn't obvious, but when the light hits the dash, you can see it pretty clearly. If you must clean the gauge plate at all, I'd at least stick with water.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

has anyone replaced the transistor and it worked. I tried to solder the transistor and it seemed not to help. thank you
Old April 24th, 2014, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by aodunker
has anyone replaced the transistor and it worked. I tried to solder the transistor and it seemed not to help. thank you
I have replaced mine and it worked just fine. Desoldering the old one without hurting the soldering pads can be difficult if you don't have experience.
Old April 24th, 2014, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Were did you order yours from. I seen one on arrow products website. 27cent plus shipping.
Old April 24th, 2014, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Check out my post from a year ago or so. I found lots of useful info.

[QUOTE=RedOctober;160458]I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ fully equipped with every option. currently 101,000 miles.

I need to replace my instrument cluster. The driver information computer screen and PRND321 lights have failed and I have read that it is a connection that is known to come loose due to a bad solder in the cluster...

I bought an instrument cluster with 2,600 miles on eBay for $20.50! Yeah, I know, great deal! Now I need to install it.. and then get it programmed??

I've been searching for an hour and can't find any DIY forum postings or anywhere on the web that shows and explains how to remove the cluster from a 2007 Tahoe. Does anyone have any knowledge as to how this is done??
Any help is appreciated.
Check out my post - golflen - if you can find it. Basically remove all visible screws in the frame around the instrument cluster. They are around the edge of the arc and at the bottom. Get a screw driver under the edge so you can get your fingers under the frame and pull pretty hard. It will not break. I thought it would but saw another post that assured me it wouldn't. Try to find my post which is listed with the others before you begin. It will be clearer than mine now.
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fix Works Great!

Thanks to everyone on this thread. You guys saved me some big bucks.
The MOSFET on my instrument cluster was bad. You could see a small burned circle on the package. I ordered a new MOSFET from Digikey for a few pennies. Soldered the new one on and it now works good as new .

Thanks for the tip on marking the gauges by turning them all the way counter clockwise and then marking with tape where they are before removing them.
Saved me a ton of time getting them back on correctly.
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

I have read all the threads so far. MY instrument cluster and PRND321 have gone out on my 2007 Tahoe. I need the easiest and most inexpensive way to fix it. I have no way of knowing my mileage and possibly wanna trade it in. Can someone please help me?

Last edited by Srosser09; August 7th, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old August 8th, 2014, 7:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if your trading it in, fixing it will be a financial loss. Let whoever takes it in fix it. The mileage can be accessed with a scan tool if the shop needs to know for trade-in value.

if you plan on keeping it and want to fix it a instrument cluster repair service will be the cheapest method if you do not want to fix it yourself. ebay or google search ipc repair or cluster repair.

Quick Reply: 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair