Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2014, 1:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very simple fix, i sent mine off to MyAirbags: $49 Module Reset and Replacement, $65 Seat Belt Repair : ABS Repair: Climate Control, Car Clock, Overhead Console : Cluster, Dashboard and Instrument Cluster Repair : Myairbags.com, i think it was 85.00 and they sent it back next day
Old September 27th, 2014, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info on this thread! Between the info here and you tube I was able to pull the cluster, solder the part in question and repair the issue free of charge!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post the info!!!
Old October 7th, 2014, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Ok first is a huge thanks to all who helped get together the info for this instrument cluster repair(dic going dark or very dim).
Some one identified in the thread that it was a transistor at location Q16 on the instrument cluster PCB(printed circuit board) causing the issue. And I think that member replaced the actual part for somewhere around $1 which is great. I agree that location Q16 is part of those digital displays because that location is where my problem was fixed. However I did not need to replace that part.
What I noticed with mine was that one finger on that component appeared to have a crack in the solder between the board and the component finger (that sets and should be soldered to the board). I added solder to that finger location and added some more solder to the middle finger on the opposite side of that component since it appeared a bit dis colored.
The crack was difficult to notice without a magnifying glass but that was enough to cause the problem.
Member rruelas also had similar results and I followed his lead and got mine fixed the same way. Check out his post to this thread on page 5, on 10-10-2011 at 7:47 pm
rruelas, thanks for your info and pictures. Yours and all other posts have been a tremendous help.
$100-200 for this repair is not too bad in my opinion, but lucky for me I fixed my own unit since I did not fear what was already broken and I had the soldering tools and materials to get it fixed.
Thanks again to all contributors.
Old October 7th, 2014, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

What I did not do was mark the location of the gauge dials and have to get them calibrated as they are not exactly representing the correct mph, rpm battery voltage, etc...
Does any one know the procedure to accurately calibrate my instrument cluster?
Old October 21st, 2014, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys, just found the same cracked solder on a customers cluster.
Old November 13th, 2014, 7:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Part number

So I found this thread through google, figured I would give a little back for the help. I went to a company in Ontario called Sayal, they had part number NTE2975 transistor in stock it was the closest they had, it was not a surface mount so was a little bigger. I had to cut the plastic on the cluster to make it fit but you can't see it so all is good. Thanks again for the info and I hope this info helps others.
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Instrument Cluster at local shop

2004 Suburban. Instrument cluster flakey. I spent a month seeing if I could locate a bad joint. Last year I replaced the speedometer servo motor. Trying to get the gauge pointers accurate was a chore. Ended up using a GPS To see actually speed, for a reference.

I was ready to send my cluster out to a shop for repair when I found out that my local NAPA shop had a program with DELPHI for a "remanufactured" cluster. $200 + $25 for overnight air. One year warranty. If you have AAA, 10% discount. Don't know if there is a discount if you are in AA.

I liked the idea of using someone local so that I could go face-to-face if it didn't work.

I think other local shops have similar programs.

Perfect!

Fraserjim
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default Part Number?

Have my 2007 suburban cluster all apart, looking to replace the component at Q16 position it is brunt up. Just can't seem to figure out where or how to get a part number for the replacement part. Any help with this would be great. I seen some one else had a number on here, can you tell me if that is a good part number for mine as well? Thanks for the help hopefully.
Old January 16th, 2015, 1:07 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jsallee2626
Have my 2007 suburban cluster all apart, looking to replace the component at Q16 position it is brunt up. Just can't seem to figure out where or how to get a part number for the replacement part. Any help with this would be great. I seen some one else had a number on here, can you tell me if that is a good part number for mine as well? Thanks for the help hopefully.
Hey there,

We would be happy to look into this further for a part number. Please send us a private message along with your VIN and part request, and we can send it to the right team. Hope to hear from you soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 17th, 2015, 3:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jsallee2626
So I found this thread through google, figured I would give a little back for the help. I went to a company in Ontario called Sayal, they had part number NTE2975 transistor in stock it was the closest they had, it was not a surface mount so was a little bigger. I had to cut the plastic on the cluster to make it fit but you can't see it so all is good. Thanks again for the info and I hope this info helps others. This was on a customers truck and was and still working perfectly.

Quick Reply: 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair