Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

DIY Battery Replacement on 2007 Tahoe LTZ

Old May 10th, 2011, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Battery Replacement on 2007 Tahoe LTZ

Hi Guys,

Can anyone with an 07 LTZ verify that you have in fact replaced your own battery (same specs, but different brand, and of course brand new) without any issues with the navigation unit (anti-theft), or anything else like that which might then require me to go the dealership in the end to have something cleared/resolved. If this is unfortunately something that can not be done by an owner themselves, I'll just purchase a battery and setup an appointment for them to do the swap, but would rather do it myself if possible. I've seen a few threads involving disconnection of the battery (for amp installs, or 2nd battery installs), but the writers don't usually specify if they have an LTZ/navigation unit. I seem to recall reading in a few posts that there can be issues with disconnecting your battery, so looking for some sure responses on the matter.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Haven't heard of anyone having any problems w/ battery replacement. I had to replace mine in the '07 after about two years. It's a real PITA since you have to R & R the fender-to-cowl brace. Never got a good answer as to why they didn't use the unencumbered location on the driver's side.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Haven't heard of anyone having any problems w/ battery replacement. I had to replace mine in the '07 after about two years. It's a real PITA since you have to R & R the fender-to-cowl brace. Never got a good answer as to why they didn't use the unencumbered location on the driver's side.
Hi 73shark. Thanks for your reply firstly, and secondly, are you also verifying that you have a navigation unit, and no anti-theft issues etc occurred. Can you add (if you remember ) how long you had your previous battery disconnected before the new one went in? Are we talking a few seconds, or did you take it out, go to the store, bring back a new one etc. Basically, I trust you from you previous posts and want to give this a try, but might as well use known good methods here
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

My '07 was a fully optioned LTZ. I already had a battery so just removed old one and installed new one. Probably disconnected for 10-15 min.
Old May 10th, 2011, 1:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced ours a few weeks back with a Duralast Platinum from AutoZone. It fit right in with much better specs than the stocker.
Like with shark I had it out for maybe 15 minutes, just long enough to take the old one out and put the new one in. I had it with me already
We have every option as the LTZ has except the power fold rear seats and autoride - 0 issues with the navigation or anything else after the swap
Old May 10th, 2011, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys. I'm going to get right on it with my Tahoe now. I knew I'd get some real answers from real owners in here. Appreciate your help.
Old May 10th, 2011, 2:38 PM
CF Senior Member

other people may have had issues if they were careless with the wires when replacing the battery maybe? I was very careful to keep the ends apart and off of any metal when replacing so there were no electrical pops or jumps.
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Well guys. I wasted no time and purchased a Die-Hard Platinum P-4 (especially made for cars with a lot of electrical needs - NAV, Monitors, etc). The whole swap took about 15 minutes. The difference when starting was very noticeable, and since this new battery comes with a 4-year warranty, I'm pretty happy. The battery I removed (not the original) was about 2 1/2 years old but it had a lot less CCA than this one. It also pales in comparison to the internal design of the P-4. Now I just have to let life pass and see how it holds up. Wish us luck. Cheers guys.
Old May 11th, 2011, 1:30 PM
CF Senior Member

good choice - what did it cost you? that is basically the exact same one I got but the Duralast Platinum from AutoZone. I think I paid around $120 or $130.
the other day when I was cleaning it out, I had a DVD playing the whole time, opened and closed the rear liftgate a few times and it never missed a beat.
if I tried that with the stock one it would have died in 10 minutes or less
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ousig2408
good choice - what did it cost you? that is basically the exact same one I got but the Duralast Platinum from AutoZone. I think I paid around $120 or $130.
the other day when I was cleaning it out, I had a DVD playing the whole time, opened and closed the rear liftgate a few times and it never missed a beat.
if I tried that with the stock one it would have died in 10 minutes or less
It cost me $199 but I had a coupon to get some money off on top of that price. Perhaps I would have went for your same deal if I had seen good reviews and/or found that price, but I'm still happy with this one. I was impressed by it's design in this video - YouTube - DieHard Platinum Battery at Sears Auto Centers - (despite the super cheese actors) and I use the car in most of the ways described in it so (totally suckered by advertising perhaps) this was the battery for me