Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

DIY Stealth Security - 2007 Tahoe LTZ

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2011, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb DIY Stealth Security - 2007 Tahoe LTZ - Viper 5902 and DLPKGM

Hi Guys. I'm not an alarm installer. I would call my self a highly technical person who normally installs everything themselves, yest also realizes when a Pro is needed or just has more hands on experience for troubleshooting, etc. I bought my 2007 Tahoe LTZ used and it has Factory Alarm with Remote Start and Power liftgate. I've since paid for and had the Ravelco system installed (California Ravelco | Over 4 million installed. Since 1976. Never Defeated.). The Ravelco is great but only attempts to protect physical theft of the whole car. I'd prefer multiple layers of security for entire car theft, as well as break-ins, which would hopefully deter theives or make a car theft take take a lot longer (not to mention page me at first warning)

I found an amazing guide that any technical person could follow (Stealth Car Alarm Install - Honda Civic Acura Integra) where they demonstrate stealth alarm installation on a Civic, and in some other sections cover re-routing of hood latch cables, and various kill-switches. I've in turn searched and searched, for installer walk-through/photo guides of these types of installs on a 2007 Tahoe. I can't even find a general guide for installing alarms and what CAN be done in a Tahoe or is recommended to protect Tahoe-based security vulnerabilities, let alone one covering upgrade processes in detail (specific Alarm module, parts, tools, etc.). An alarm walk-through that shows where to install alarm modules/parts/wiring, why they are hard to get to in a theft, and covers each install step by step with photos would be a god-send. Specifically covering Alarm Module, Horn, Back-Up Horn, Back-Up power, Shock Sensors, Tilt Sensors, Dual Proximity Sensors, Hood sensor, Glass Break Sensor, and Power Fuse (to prevent theif short-circuit) installations in a way that makes them all hard to detect to the naked eye and thus hard to compromise.

Just putting out the call to see if anyone is an installer or enthusiast and wants to help others in adding some stealthy security layers to their 07 Tahoe. Can't find it anywhere else on the web, so why not here? ... Thanks for your help.

Last edited by interotony; April 14th, 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Jimmi Jammer Products

I don't work for Jimmi Jammer, but I think once you have an Alarm and Killswitch, trying to prevent easy physical access into your cabin or engine compartment is a great next step... Here are their best products along with a walk-through.

Jimmi Jammer (Door Handle Intrusion Protection): Jimmi Jammer Passive Truck, Car and SUV Security

Installation Walk-Through: Chevy GMC door panel removal

Jimmi Jammer Hoodguard (Engine Compartment/Headlight Theft Protection): Headlight Theft Deterrent, Hood Latch Guard

Jimmi Jammer Punchplug (Key barrel Replacement on Power Door Vehicles):
PunchPlug door lock replacement
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Cause of alarm is a excellent website and I have used it to install my 2-way alarm, kill switches, tilt sensor, audio glass break sensor, battery backup, and piezo sirens in the AC vents of my 95 accord. I also own a '99 Tahoe with a 2-way remote start alarm system. Before I knew about stealth installs, I had the tahoe's alarm install by a local stereo shop here in Nashville, TN with piezo sirens in the AC vents. Once I stumbled on Cause of Alarm, I found that I have lots of weaknesses to my alarm on the Tahoe.

1. Alarm is under the dash.
2. No battery backup.
3. Siren is very accessible in the engine bay.
4. L.E.D. is not that visible.

I plan on re-installing the alarm in the future in the dash or in the rear of the truck in the opposite panel of where the spare tire tools are located. Other things I will be installing:

1. Tilt sensor
2. More piezo sirens on the interior.
3. Glass sensor.
4. More sirens under the hood and also relocating the current siren.
5. Fuel pump kill by a hidden toggle switch.
6. Ecu kill by alarm.

Let's get something together on how to protect our trucks even more!
Old April 11th, 2011, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Well then...

After not hearing about or finding anyone who's done this type of install on their own car. I've decided to man-up and take the time and effort to do it myself. I plan on taking pictures along the way, and eventually doing a write-up if I can, which is fully open to critique from installers out there. For now, I'll list the main components of my alarm

Car: 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Car Computer to Alarm Interface:DLPKGM by XPRESSKIT (which is a DEI product)
Interface-to-USB-Firmware Programmer: DEI XKLOAder2
Alarm Model: DEI Viper 5902v
Shock Sensor:(these are useless, plan on throwing mine out)
Proximity/Radar Sensor: Crime Guard AU94T (Pro installers recommend it over the faulty DEI 508D)
Audio/Glassbreak Sensor: DEI 506T
Tilt Sensor: DEI 507M
Back-Up Battery System: DEI 520T
Back-Up Piezo Horn Sirens: DEI 513T (x2)

I'm not listing fuses and or relays that I might add as part of the "Stealth" factor on this install, but basically once I get the parts. I'll document my process and give as much detail on parts and methods as I can (I have a job and life too ) which will hopefully make this install as easy as possible for someone with technical/mechanical skills to perform on their Tahoe

***DISCLAIMER: I've never installed an alarm before and want to be legally blunt in saying I don't know what I'm doing. Read this post or any of my pertaining install posts for fun only. If you try to repeat any steps, please consider yourself responsible for any damage to your vehicle or yourself. In fact, take my posts only as proof that someone can do it themselves, but that in most cases, including yours, a professional installer is easier/safer for you. Cheers.***

Last edited by interotony; April 11th, 2011 at 3:58 PM.
Old April 11th, 2011, 9:14 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Be aware that if someone wants your truck, they'll get it.
Old April 11th, 2011, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Be aware that if someone wants your truck, they'll get it.
Couldn't agree more 73Shark. I think everyone should know that adding layers of protection/alert are just to try and make things more difficult for thieves. If you can avoid the annoyances/pain/violated feeling of having your car broken into and worse completely taken, then I support your efforts. Other than steps like these, just keep your fingers crossed
Old April 12th, 2011, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

73shark, you are right. If they want it, they'll get it, I'm just going to make them spend about 30 minutes trying to take it in pure pain in their ears and me standing outside the truck with a bat with all attention drawn to them! With that being said @interotony, the DEI 520T is trash as far as that battery goes. If you want to go ahead and upgrade the battery, check out some information in this thread about the battery and options:

Dei 520t- BEst to upgrade the orginal battery. - Honda-Tech

I purchased this battery this past Sunday:

12V 1.3AH SLA Sealed Lead Acid UPS Battery ZEUS - eBay (item 270580390565 end time Apr-12-11 08:19:54 PDT)

I will hopefully get this new battery installed and tested this weekend. I will update this thread.
Old April 12th, 2011, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Cool

Originally Posted by djkurious
73shark, you are right. If they want it, they'll get it, I'm just going to make them spend about 30 minutes trying to take it in pure pain in their ears and me standing outside the truck with a bat with all attention drawn to them! With that being said @interotony, the DEI 520T is trash as far as that battery goes. If you want to go ahead and upgrade the battery, check out some information in this thread about the battery and options:

Dei 520t- BEst to upgrade the orginal battery. - Honda-Tech

I purchased this battery this past Sunday:

12V 1.3AH SLA Sealed Lead Acid UPS Battery ZEUS - eBay (item 270580390565 end time Apr-12-11 08:19:54 PDT)

I will hopefully get this new battery installed and tested this weekend. I will update this thread.
@djkurious I hadn't heard about this so thanks. The possibly sad news is now that I've put serious time into figuring out some of the complexities of the 2007 Tahoe, I'm facing that have a pro install my gear might be the best bet.

My two main dilemmas are that:

a) even though I bought my gear from a DEI Seller, if a DEI installer doesn't do the work (and certify your warranty), then your Brain unit isn't warranted by DEI. WTF? Why sell to private parties... Still. I feel like a super-noob.

and

b) While that's enough for me to bow to the man, if say you had a unit that wasn't going to be warranted, the 2nd issue was finding a single universally agreed safe method for tapping into the 2007 Tahoe electrical system for IGN power. My route would have been to strip/solder to the IGN wire in the BCM (under dash to left of steering column), then run that (with a fuse in between to protect BCM) to a relay which would trigger allowing power coming straight from the battery (again with a fuse just after the battery). Since I would expect to hear this done a lot, I searched for any one to confirm doing this. I'd love to hear if any pro installers have used this method on this exact car and have photos. If they did, the photos could verify we're talking the same language and that things work as planned. I'm confident in my idea, but not willing to risk damage to the ECU and other components.

Not sure yet where this is going so stay tuned... As always if you're installer, please chime in. Small chance I can't get this installed by someone else now for the warranty, and getting me past the power steps will probably kick-start me to the end.

Last edited by interotony; April 12th, 2011 at 4:50 PM.
Old April 12th, 2011, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by interotony
@djkurious I hadn't heard about this so thanks. The possibly sad news is now that I've put serious time into figuring out some of the complexities of the 2007 Tahoe, I'm facing that have a pro install my gear might be the best bet.

My two main dilemmas are that:

a) even though I bought my gear from a DEI Seller, if a DEI installer doesn't do the work (and certify your warranty), then your Brain unit isn't warranted by DEI. WTF? Why sell to private parties... Still. I feel like a super-noob.

and

b) While that's enough for me to bow to the man, if say you had a unit that wasn't going to be warranted, the 2nd issue was finding a single universally agreed safe method for tapping into the 2007 Tahoe electrical system for IGN power. My route would have been to strip/solder to the IGN wire in the BCM (under dash to left of steering column), then run that (with a fuse in between to protect BCM) to a relay which would trigger allowing power coming straight from the battery (again with a fuse just after the battery). Since I would expect to hear this done a lot, I searched for any one to confirm doing this. I'd love to hear if any pro installers have used this method on this exact car and have photos. If they did, the photos could verify we're talking the same language and that things work as planned. I'm confident in my idea, but not willing to risk damage to the ECU and other components.

Not sure yet where this is going so stay tuned... As always if you're installer, please chime in. Small chance I can't get this installed by someone else now for the warranty, and getting me past the power steps will probably kick-start me to the end.

a) I always hear about the "DEI warranty" issue when store chains recommend that you purchase and let them install the unit. I wonder why they stress the warranty so much, like as if the DEI units are known to fail over time. I have had my 2-way Autopage unit for almost 9-years now without any issues. If I did have to get the brain replaced, I would call the customer service line and get a RMA number, mail a $30 check and unit, and they will send out another unit. Done. Also, I really think that DEI is overpriced and I don't like the sound of the 6-tone sirens. I know you can open the sirens case and cut some wires to make it a 1-tone siren, they just aren't loud enough. I'm also sure that if they installed it, it wouldn't be stealth and also if you make changes to what they have installed (modified), they would void the warranty.

b) You should strip the IGN wire and solder the alarm's wire that goes to the ignition there. You have the right idea, but I don't think you would need a external relay for that. The unit has the relay built in. Also, if you have IGN2 you would do the same thing. Have you checked out the wiring diagram over at

07 chevy tahoe wiring

I'm not by far a pro or certified installer, I can only speak from experience. I have installed a total of 6 alarms in my lifetime. 2 remote starts and 4 alarms. Like I stated above, I will be doing my truck as a stealth alarm soon by the summer so hopefully we can share some knowledge.

Pro's feel free to chime in!
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by djkurious
a) I always hear about the "DEI warranty" issue when store chains recommend that you purchase and let them install the unit. I wonder why they stress the warranty so much, like as if the DEI units are known to fail over time. I have had my 2-way Autopage unit for almost 9-years now without any issues. If I did have to get the brain replaced, I would call the customer service line and get a RMA number, mail a $30 check and unit, and they will send out another unit. Done. Also, I really think that DEI is overpriced and I don't like the sound of the 6-tone sirens. I know you can open the sirens case and cut some wires to make it a 1-tone siren, they just aren't loud enough. I'm also sure that if they installed it, it wouldn't be stealth and also if you make changes to what they have installed (modified), they would void the warranty.

b) You should strip the IGN wire and solder the alarm's wire that goes to the ignition there. You have the right idea, but I don't think you would need a external relay for that. The unit has the relay built in. Also, if you have IGN2 you would do the same thing. Have you checked out the wiring diagram over at

07 chevy tahoe wiring

I'm not by far a pro or certified installer, I can only speak from experience. I have installed a total of 6 alarms in my lifetime. 2 remote starts and 4 alarms. Like I stated above, I will be doing my truck as a stealth alarm soon by the summer so hopefully we can share some knowledge.

Pro's feel free to chime in!
Thanks for the link. I think I've read everything google will turn out, using every search phrase I could (I'm a computer engineer by day). Even researched alarm, stereo or any install involving the ignition wire on 07 Yukons, Silverados, etc...

The one common thing I saw on more than one board, usually by a "pro", "installer" or "GM Tech" type was that the ignition and other cables on the 07 have a very fixed voltage, and that if you pull power from them you confuse the ECU (computer) or cause permanent damage. They all then go on to say take it to a pro, not giving any help on the right way to do it. If I used a relay, I'd only be using a few milliamps from that wire to trigger the relay and pull power straight from the battery, as opposed to pulling power from the iginition wire. That's what I'm thinking anyways.

P.S. As an update, my quote for the stealth install (labor only) was $900 - ouch. Worth it probably, but I don't have that on hand so perhaps I will have to move forward as planned. Once I heard the quoted price, it dawned on me that short of damaging my car, the 900 +tax I have to risk could by 3 of my Viper 5902's. Since only the brain is covered by warranty, doesn't make much sense to worry about it.

Would love for someone to tell me I'm heading down the right path with my relay idea. Any electrical engineers/pro installers with some free time out there?

Last edited by interotony; April 13th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Stealth Security - 2007 Tahoe LTZ