Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.
Old July 29th, 2015, 6:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

How to remove airbag module from 2010 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove airbag module from 2010 Suburban

Hello,

Does anyone know where is the airbag module and how to remove it from a 2010 suburban?

Thank you for your help.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure why you'd want to do that but from a liability standpoint, I'd hesitate to advise you.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 7:55 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd go with c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y, and with disconnecting the battery first.
Which one are you removing, steering wheel, passenger, side impact.. and why??
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I need to remove it because I bought a new one to replace the bad one. My airbags deployed (side and steering wheel only) and I was told that is in the middle compartment between the driver and front passenger seats. Thank you
Old February 23rd, 2011, 6:08 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I only have info up to the 2009 models, once replaced it looks as if its going to have to be programed....
Seems like insurance would be covering any air bag deployment on such a new vehicle....

Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module Programming and Setup
Important: The air bag indicator light may remain ON after the body control module (BCM), or inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) is replaced, and during the programming procedure for the BCM until after the procedure is completed. When installing a new SDM, there may be several DTCs set prior to programming. Once programmed, these DTCs should be in history and can be cleared.

Important: If the SDM was replaced, the SIR warning indicator will remain ON SOLID until after the programming event is complete.

Key on, Engine off. Program the SDM, refer to Service Programming System (SPS) .
Key OFF then ON again. If a DTC is set current after programming, follow the diagnostic procedure for that fault. If the programming event was successful, the SIR Malfunction indicator should begin flashing with no current DTCs present.
Use the scan tool to perform the "Setup SDM Primary Key in BCM" Special Function in Module Setup.
Use the scan tool to perform the Setup New SDM special function. If during this procedure a fault is detected, the SDM will not allow this procedure to complete. Repair any existing DTC and then use the scan tool to command the special function again.
Key off then on again. Clear all codes and verify no current faults are present.