Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

LTZ Air Ride not auto-inflating - works with jumping relay

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2017, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTZ Air Ride not auto-inflating - works with jumping relay

I have been battling an air ride issue for a year now.

2007 Suburban LTZ 5.3

- replaced shocks since the bags were cracked
- replaced compressor since it burnt out before noticing bad shocks
- worked well for 6 months or so and then stopped
- scan on a high end ODB reader showed an open or short to ground on exhaust of compressor
- turns out the new compressor I bought was a rebuild, and they crimped new relay onto old harness poorly (bad crimp)
- fixed that crimp, and no more codes, but somehow I am not getting inflation, yet if I pull the relay (which I also tested and then changed anyway) it inflates fine
- no leaks, etc.
- Scanner shows varying readings on each corner sensor - so the sensors seem to work

Wondering if its the compressor, or perhaps the module (located where?) that is not sending a signal to the relay?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old April 3rd, 2020, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

Ended up replacing the controller above the spare tire, and the issue still exists - no auto ride height adjust.

I can jump the relay under the hood and it works fine and all ride height sensors verified working by scanner.

Recently I had my backup camera stop working as well as my entire driver bank coil packs conk out. Found the connector between coil packs was missing a ground - added a ground there (hoping I didn't introduce a ground loop) and at least it runs again ;-) Is there maybe a bad ground block somewhere or a wire that is typically a trouble spot?
Old April 6th, 2020, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maxstead
Ended up replacing the controller above the spare tire, and the issue still exists - no auto ride height adjust.

I can jump the relay under the hood and it works fine and all ride height sensors verified working by scanner.

Recently I had my backup camera stop working as well as my entire driver bank coil packs conk out. Found the connector between coil packs was missing a ground - added a ground there (hoping I didn't introduce a ground loop) and at least it runs again ;-) Is there maybe a bad ground block somewhere or a wire that is typically a trouble spot?
My 2002 Silverado began having electrical issues, much like you I couldn't get to the bottom of it. One day however I was checking fuses under the hood and realized the fuse box was moving more than it should with each pull on the fuses. So I examined the top of my driverside wheel well discovering the inner fender
was COMPLETELY ROTTED. The bottom of my fuse box was completely wide open to the weather. I live in Maine...so I've had salt, snow, sand, rain , etc. for who knows how long corroding my fuse box harnesses and plugs. ...why Chevy made the wheel well plastic the way they did but leaving the one area of metal under the fuse box vulnerable to the weather I can't understand. Nevertheless, to date I haven't fixed it all, I picked up the box and layed a piece of rubber roofing under it to prevent further damage
Old March 11th, 2023, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Air ride compressor

You said that at least it's working again what were you talking about the camera or the air ride compressor? And what and where is the ground you repaired.