Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

FYI DIY Folks for 2017 Suburban Premier

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2019, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FYI DIY Folks for 2017 Suburban Premier

Just joined the Forum, looking for like minded folks that may have the 2017+ Premier Suburban. I intend on writing up some DIY threads to help folks out as time permits. I'm not much of a video guy but I've got OCD pictures and reference Material. I'll post my mod list so far and if anyone needs something prioritized faster (DIY Write Up) let me know.

Current Mod List on the 2017 'Bourbon' Premier

1) De-badge + Custom Rebadge Suburban (~$40 for new letters x2, couldn't make up my mind)
2) Install console JL Stealth Subwoofer + JL Amp (~$650 Stealth Box, ~$350 JL Amp, cheaper amps exist)
(Customer remote volume **** in the front lift up/close compartment under AC)
3) Replaced a failed Seat vibration sensor, was actually able to repair it. Just had a broken wire @ 37,000 miles, what terrible engineering.
4) I was involved in a front end accident, so learned quite a bit about a $8,000 front end repair, lower valance, grill, all proximity sensors, cruise control sensors, etc. (*Airbag did not go off, low speed)
5) I've had my windshield broken by a rock this winter. I've had it replaced/serviced 3 times. Familiar with HUD issues on OEM Equiv type windshields vs GM Specific.
-1st swap, inferior quality windshield and created blurred vision with HUD
-2nd swap, good windshield (GE Specific) but they destroyed my rain sensor (Removed an adhesive part that should have been removed)
-3rd visit/swap, replaced rain sensor camera
6) I got a higher end BlackVue wifi 2x camera system (4k front, 1080p rear). I have some material on installing it and direct wiring it to the battery so it runs even when the car is off WITHOUT risk to killing/draining the main battery.
7) blew out 2 tires on a pot hole, got a bit familiar with tire replacement and where the spare is and how to access it. My first car that had a "process" for accessing it. FYI For everyone.
8) Oil changes (Cant find a fluid extractor currently that works, ~5-6mm tube wont fit in check oil level tube, exploring alternatives), Air Filter Changes, big DIY guy so hoping I can maintain other aspects, only at 37k miles at the moment.
9) Best dog ramp for English mastiffs or dogs that don't jump. ($250) https://amzn.to/2vWAQJa for some reason my dog didn't like the 3 ramp models I previously tried. The flex in them due to his weight (~180lbs) scared him off.
10) Adding a Custom Second deep cycle marine Battery (Tailgating, Zombie Apocalypse )
11 Adding a 125 Amp/150 Amp Battery Isolator (Used this one : https://amzn.to/2HgMUeH )
12) Running a dedicated inverter in the trunk area (I have a 1000w inverter and 300W pure sine)
13) Installing additional 2nd battery dedicated "cig lighters", and USB chargers, etc. custom building them in the trunk area wheel wells etc. These would be live when the car is out. EX: Power TV's during tailgating. Something like this : https://amzn.to/2vWXXmG

Honorable Mention: Amazon purchases for Quality of life I can recommend:

Wish List

Would like a way to pull a car cheaply ex: a sport car to track (Very wish list)
Cosmetic options perhaps

Ive found you can’t really modify the front of the suburban with some narly metal bumper guard, all the proximity sensors will fail and you’ll have check engine lines on all the time so avoided that after a front end accident.

Last edited by Justin Korn; October 10th, 2020 at 6:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SDfromSD (June 14th, 2020)
Old June 13th, 2020, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customer volume control

Originally Posted by Justin Korn
Just joined the Forum, looking for like minded folks that may have the 2017+ Premier Suburban. I intend on writing up some DIY threads to help folks out as time permits. I'm not much of a video guy but I've got OCD pictures and reference Material. I'll post my mod list so far and if anyone needs something prioritized faster (DIY Write Up) let me know.

Current Mod List on the 2017 'Bourbon' Premier

1) De-badge + Custom Rebadge Suburban (~$40 for new letters x2, couldn't make up my mind)
2) Install console JL Stealth Subwoofer + JL Amp (~$650 Stealth Box, ~$350 JL Amp, cheaper amps exist)
(Customer remote volume **** in the front lift up/close compartment under AC)
3) Replaced a failed Seat vibration sensor, was actually able to repair it. Just had a broken wire @ 37,000 miles, what terrible engineering.
4) I was involved in a front end accident, so learned quite a bit about a $8,000 front end repair, lower valance, grill, all proximity sensors, cruse control sensors, etc. (*Airbag did not go off, low speed)
5) I've had my windshield broken by a rock this winter. I've had it replaced/serviced 3 times. Familiar with HUD issues on OEM equiv type windshields vs GM Specific.
-1st swap, inferior quality windshield and created blurred vision with HUD
-2nd swap, good windshield (GE Specific) but they destroyed my rain sensor (Removed an adhesive part that should have been removed)
-3rd visit/swap, replaced rain sensor camera
6) I got a higher end BlackVue wifi 2x camera system (4k front, 1080p rear). I have some material on installing it and direct wiring it to the battery so it runs even when the car is off WITHOUT risk to killing/draining the main battery.
7) blew out 2 tires on a pot hole, got a bit familiar with tire replacement and where the spare is and how to access it. My first car that had a "process" for accessing it. FYI For everyone.
8) Oil changes (Cant find a fluid extractor currently that works, ~5-6mm tube wont fit in check oil level tube, exploring alternatives), Air Filter Changes, big DIY guy so hoping I can maintain other aspects, only at 37k miles at the moment.
9) Best dog ramp for English mastiffs or dogs that don't jump. ($250) https://amzn.to/2vWAQJa for some reason my dog didn't like the 3 ramp models I previously tried. The flex in them due to his weight (~180lbs) scared him off.

Recent Build / Current Build - Stuff I'd live to chat with folks on or get some insight!
10) Adding a Custom Second deep cycle marine Battery (Tailgating, Zombie Apocalypse ) (Complete)
- Exploring some dedicated flood lighting (LED), and additional devices to power. Not much out there, have a little 10 can "cooler" that runs off 12v.
11 Adding a 125 Amp/150 Amp Battery Isolator (Complete) (Used this one : https://amzn.to/2HgMUeH )
12) Running a dedicated inverter in the trunk area (I have a 1000w inverter, considering a pure sine, TBD for tailgating)
13) I'm looking at installing additional 2nd battery dedicated cig lighters, and USB chargers, etc. custom building them in the trunk area wheel wells etc. These would be live when the car is out. EX: Power TV's during tailgating. Something like this : https://amzn.to/2vWXXmG

For the last 2 options, I'm trying to find some material on removing all the panels and built in rear tray if anyone has seen anything let me know. Need to run heavy gauge wires from engine to trunk, and need to find places to hide inverters, electronics, and other goodies stealth like.

Wish List

TBD on Subwoofer in the trunk area. May get bored and if I have dedicated power back there ......
Would like a call hauler for a sport car to track (Very wish list)
Considering some kind of rear storage rack for trailer hitch.

What does the volume control **** in the front console with the 12v port and 2 USB ports do?
Old June 13th, 2020, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Lethonius2k
What does the volume control **** in the front console with the 12v port and 2 USB ports do?
it controls the Subwoofer bass boost/volume.
Old October 10th, 2020, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

How does it sound with the sub and amp and stock everything else? I want to put some better stuff in there but have heard bad things as far as this vehicle and getting custom stereo stuff and still having everything work. Dying to do other mods also but dont see much out there.
Old October 10th, 2020, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Very happy

Originally Posted by abrahamx
How does it sound with the sub and amp and stock everything else? I want to put some better stuff in there but have heard bad things as far as this vehicle and getting custom stereo stuff and still having everything work. Dying to do other mods also but dont see much out there.
I had the premium sound system with mine and this replaced an existing subwoofer in the center console. Fit perfectly after I squared away the wiring and remove base **** adjuster. Best investment / DIY so far.

Old November 22nd, 2021, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates

I just purchased a 2017 Suburban Premier and really like your mod list. Do you have and updates?
Old November 22nd, 2021, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chrisfl26
I just purchased a 2017 Suburban Premier and really like your mod list. Do you have and updates?
finished the rest of the items on my original list, sub panel for electric, deep cycle battery.

seems I’m set for now. Zero adoption or feedback On this forum so I haven’t looked at it for years.

have ATF fluids, and a few other maintenance items
in the 50-60k range to do in the next few weeks. Found an iPhone adapter that lets me stream
some content for the kids.

Doesn’t seem like I’ll do much else.