Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)

Old September 5th, 2011, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Configrmation

Just wanted to chime in and confirm that Fred's instructions are correct and work just fine. I tapped into the grey\blue \ grey\orange as instructed and soldered them just to ensure a good connection.

Have rear camera on rearview mirror and on Advent Nav.. picture on both is perfect and clear.
Old November 5th, 2012, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

It doesn't appear anyone has posted recently on this thread, so I am really hoping there is still some help available out there. I recently bought a 2009 Suburban LT that is loaded with the exception of Navigation and Rear view camera. I had completed the oem nav upgrade with my acadia a few years ago with relatively no issues, but adding the camera is maybe pushing my limits a bit.

Here is what I am trying to add. OEM Camera kit (complete with harnesses), Lockpick Gen5 (originally from my acadia, already spoke with coastal tech and they said it will work) and oem NAV.

I worked on it today and got most of it all wired and installed but my screen is in theftlock, which I expected. the problem is I want to make sure its all done properly before taking it to the dealer to have the nav and camera enabled. (I really don't want to take it apart again). To anyone who is thinking of trying the OEM camera kit (19171822), this is not as easy as it would initially appear!

I am somewhat positive I had all four plugs when I upgraded my NAV on my Acadia. While on the Suburban I only seem to have three. On the LockPick, it has a brown plug (which i spliced into pins 6 and 7), but because you have to plug two of the OEM plugs into it, I am still short a plug. If I will have NAV, RSE and back up camera, will all four plugs be used?????

Please help....

thanks,
Brian
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Chevy Avalanche tap factory camera/mirror

Fredrich03 - I want to thank you for the original post and let you know that you helped me tremendously. I have a new 2013 Avalanche that came with in-mirror backup camera view. I just installed a new Pioneer AVIC-X950BH Head unit and really wanted to use the factory camera and not have to put in an aftermarket.

Since your truck was built, Chevy has obviously made many changes and I didn't expect it to be easy. Here is what I had to do on my '13 Avalanche in case it will help anyone else.
1. Removed Driver's side A pillar cover and found many wires. No obvious video wires at all.
2. Research and research other forums and postings to find out that no one really has all of the needed information in one place.
3. Finally found pretty consistant information that says the Dark blue and the white wires in the 16 pin plug on the mirror are the video feed from the camera.
4. Checked the "A" pillar wires and the wires were not there. (frustration beginning to mount)
5. Reviewed articles on how to install the factory mirror and camera. Pretty clear that the wires had to be there since the camera does show up on the mirror now.
6. Dropped the visor on Drivers side and dropped the light fixture above the mirror.
7. Pulled the headliner down enough to feel the wire bundle. checked all the way to the "A" pillar and found that there is a place where the bundle splits at the top of the pillar. One part goes down the pillar and the other part goes back toward the rear window.
8. With difficulty, pulled the wire bundle loose from the super strong glue that holds it to the headliner.
9. Opened the bundle before it got to the split at the top of the pillar
10. Found foil wrapped bundle of 3 wires, Dark Blue, White and bare wire. Shouted Eureka!
11. Using a straight pen and multimeter I pushed the pin through first the white and then the blue wire and tested for continuity to the bare wire, figuring that the bare wire had to be a ground of some sort.
12. That test showed that the Dark Blue wire and the bare ground were joined. Deduced that the White wire had to be the center core carrying the video +
13. Carefully stripped back the 2 wires (ignoring the bare ground as you did) and soldered to an old RCA cable that I had lying around.
14. Tested the backup camera and it worked perfectly. Great picture quality too. I had read from someone that the factory camera didn't have good enough quality to blow up to a 7" screen. Not so. It looks great.
15. Taped the soldered places and re-wrapped the bundle with aluminium foil to be sure it was still shielded.

Again, thanks very much for your helpful article in the OP. Hope that this information will help someone else.
Old July 14th, 2013, 8:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Older geek, You're welcome! Glad to have helped!

Update: Although I stated earlier that I would back out the pins in the mirror plug, I decided to leave them alone and just turn the mirror display off. (Amazing what you'll find in the owner's manual.)
So, now I can have the rear cam displayed in the mirror, nav, both, or not at all!
Old July 15th, 2013, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

HA - Owners manual, who'd a thought it That's another good tip. I was just starting to think about pulling a pin.
Old December 14th, 2021, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Anyone still here? lol

Is anyone still here? Let's see if we can revive this thread. I have a 2007 Yukon, Bose system, no nav, no backup cam.
I have purchased an oe backup cam, which I installed and am getting a gate harness so I can plug it in.
A nav radio which will go in the dash.

My question, is, with these other items discontinued, what's the best way to get the camera signal to the radio? The VSS harness? If so, where is the camera lead at the front of the truck, I was hoping the truck was prewired with the harnesses, but I guess not. After reading all in this thread, I am thinking I need a VSS connector, and a camera voltage drop module and connect then together somehow? I am doing a couple episodes on my YouTube on this so it will be out there for all to see.
If anyone is still around to help, I appreciate it in advance.

Dan (https://www.youtube.com/c/DansGarageNC)