Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Rear Brake Pad replacement 02 1500

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2014, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Pad replacement 02 1500

Hi all,

I've run into a slight issue that I'm unfamiliar with, so I'm coming to you with questions.

I'm replacing the rear brake pads on a 2002 Suburban 1500 4X4, Dual Piston.

Issue #1. In order to put the new pads on, I need to compress the pistons. In the past, I've always done this with a large C-Clamp. However, I've also never done dual pistons.

Issue #2. I'm reading that there's an ABS Sensor "screen," that can get damaged when you force fluid back through the break lines, using the C-Clamp method!

Issue #3. So far, I've only removed the driver's side, rear caliper. I've noticed that the inner brake pad is completely worn down. The outer pad still has some 'meat' on it, say 3/16"

Question #1. Do I need to use 2 C-Clamps, tightening each up, say 1 turn at a time, so they stay 'even?'

Question #2. Is what I'm reading in Issue #2 correct? If so, how would you suggest I compress the dual pistons?

Question #3. Is it normal that the inner pad is showing more wear than the outer pad?

Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old August 10th, 2014, 1:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you are concerned with pushing old brake fluid back into the abs; crack the bleeder screw before you push the pistons back. refill the master when you are done.

uneven pad wear is due to pads stuck in the caliper brackets. Clean out the bracket and under the clips. make sure the pistons push back easily as a sticky piston may cause this.

I don't use c-clamps to push pistons back as you cannot feel for a seized piston. a c-clamp will push back anything. I use the proper tool or large channel lock with the old pad sitting over the pistons.
Old August 10th, 2014, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
if you are concerned with pushing old brake fluid back into the abs; crack the bleeder screw before you push the pistons back. refill the master when you are done.

uneven pad wear is due to pads stuck in the caliper brackets. Clean out the bracket and under the clips. make sure the pistons push back easily as a sticky piston may cause this.

I don't use c-clamps to push pistons back as you cannot feel for a seized piston. a c-clamp will push back anything. I use the proper tool or large channel lock with the old pad sitting over the pistons.
I do have a large pair of channel locks that I can use.

Thanks!