Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

shifting from 2x4 to 4x4

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2009, 5:54 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do I know, after all I've only driven my Tahoe for 277,000. miles.
I will check my manual and let you know what it says, it's not a girl but I guess it will do.

Last edited by mudmaniac; December 14th, 2009 at 6:21 PM.
Old December 14th, 2009, 6:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes and maybe its something that is possable with yours, I dont know either way like I said Its not worth pissing our boots over, Ive heard it both ways and so far they havent been able to prove me wrong they all get in and throw it in four hi like I said then drive it and start going in and out just like I said and that is not just driving along and pullin it in whenever you want, segnificant DAMAGE WILL occur Ive seen this it happend to a buddy of mine on his 93 z71 he did as quoted put it in at ANY SPEED, guess what if you get it right before ur done reading this Iwill hand you the keys to my truck after I show you how to use it... It BLEW THE T CASE into tiny bits of jewlery. Please quit cryin in your cheerios or prove me wrong by showing me....
Old December 14th, 2009, 8:25 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

From the manual for a 1995 Tahoe / Suburban, page 2-33.
"You can shift from 2-WHEEL HIGH (2H) to 4-WHEEL HIGH (4H) or from 4-WHEEL HIGH (4H) to 2- WHEEL HIGH (2H) while the vehicle is moving. Your front axle will engage faster if you take your foot off of the accelerator for a few seconds after you shift. In extremely cold weather it may be necessary to stop or slow the vehicle to shift out of 2-WHEEL HIGH (2H)."
The instructions go on to describe shifting into low range were it says to slow to 1-3 mph, shift into neutral and then shift the transfer case to or out of low range.
It takes a lot more than a disagreement to make me cry and I don,t have any Cheerios anyway, so I guess I'll just go by the manual, if that's OK with you.
I'm not saying that you are wrong, only what GM and my personal experience say.
Old December 14th, 2009, 8:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok Its just that out of all my trucks Ive never been able to at random put them in four wheel unles it already has been angaged, I literally ripped the shift **** off my tahoe trying to do that and after it was engaged by stopping it and puting in nuetral or park did it go in and out after that. because my 98 wont alow me to either unless its stopped. but either way like I said I hope he found what he was looking for and to at least enjoy his truck because I know I did.
Old December 14th, 2009, 8:40 PM
CF Veteran

I would go by the manual personally. In my expierience with many different years of Chevy, Ford, And Yota 4WD's, some won't shift if your moving, some won't shift if your not, some do both and shift smooth as glass. I wouldn't shift into 4-hi going 70mph of course.

But, as of now, I haven't eaten yet, and I want some damn Cheerios.
Old December 14th, 2009, 8:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Allright Im buyin
Old December 14th, 2009, 8:47 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
I would go by the manual personally. In my expierience with many different years of Chevy, Ford, And Yota 4WD's, some won't shift if your moving, some won't shift if your not, some do both and shift smooth as glass. I wouldn't shift into 4-hi going 70mph of course.

But, as of now, I haven't eaten yet, and I want some damn Cheerios.
That's a great post to end this with.
Old December 26th, 2009, 4:05 AM
CF Active Member

Default why cant we all just get along

LOL well mud looks like your getting broke in REAL FAST ! i fully agree with your statement on the proper proceedure for operating the 241and i have owned damn near every year make and model been driving these trucks since 1970! i was going to pipe in but got some good laughs outta that one! deplomacy knowlage and experiance !191500k burn that manuel its way off these methods will have you picking up your planetarys, syncro's and snapping shafts soon enough ! Mud! Naughticstar97 .....good work and for this old gearhead i think i will sit on the porch watch the show and holler at parked cars! telling them this is a neighborhood ,slow the hell down
LOL it keeps those those same neighbors the hell away ! Anyhow good luck you two
By the way anybody seen my little brother Red! He wandered off again Damn Kids!...HAMMER GONE 96 burb, 454 BB HEAVY 3/4 TON 4hi on the fly as advertised since the 203's and lock in hubs became ancient history

Last edited by tm4hammer; December 26th, 2009 at 4:10 AM.
Old December 26th, 2009, 7:27 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I'm mellowing with age TM.
Red will be back I'm sure, he just became a modrator.
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:58 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default question

i just bought a 96 4x4 tahoe and whant to know what gear to leave it in on the floor mantel? neutral or 2hi?