Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Spyder HALO Projector Lights

Old July 24th, 2011, 3:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spyder HALO Projector Lights

I have these Spyder HALO Projector Lights installed on my 2007 Suburban. These do not have the CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) bulbs. These lights look great, however, the low beam output is horrible. The stock low beam lit up the roadway better. I am looking to improve the low beam output, so here are my questions:

1. What is the type of bulb used in these Spyder HALO Lights?
2. Are there replacement CCFL bulbs I could buy separately?
3. Considering LED or and HID Kit from CARiD ~ Which kit would be best?

I am looking for anyone who has installed these lights and share the same concerns as far at the low beam output. As well as those that have installed an HID Kit. I am unsure if there is a fitting iand bulb type issue since I now have the Spyder HALO Projector Front Headlight Assembly, which I want to keep on the Burb.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Spider halo lights

Im having the same problem.. low beam suck. it may be the stock light that came with the lights. how bright are you halos. My are not that bright!! I ask the dealer I got them from and he is going to check with the manufacturer about it. I with they didnt have the projector part in them... how hard was it to aim them?? if you can can you post some picture of the halos on? thanks..
Old July 26th, 2011, 3:14 AM
CF Beginner

No kidding. The projectors spread the low beam out, as designed. However, the low beam light that was already in the assembly was definitely weak. I did alot of research and found the only solution was to purchase HIDs. The Spyder (aka Sonar) brand takes the H1 type bulb. I needed to make sure the proper HID bulb would fit in the headlamp assembly, with little to no drilling. As for the HALOS, because I didn't buy the Spyder HALO Projector Lights with CCFL, the rings are very light. As a matter of fact, you don't see them at all in the daytime. I was very lucky when I installed my projector lights. I didn't have to do any adjustments. I am making some LED improvements to the assembly though. I don't like the look of the side marker light which was removed from the stock and reinserted into the Spyder. I just purchased and blue LED side marker light for both sides. I will send pictures on my next post. I will do a day and night to show the difference.
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default halo

Thanks.. did you find out if the hid kits work in the our style headlights? which one of the hid kits work in these head lights? thanks for any info..
mine look like the need to be aimed down more.. Im going to adjust them this week end.. Ill have to take the front bumper off again to make it easier to adjust the bottom screw.. I may replace the halo lights to brighter leds, you have to heat the lights up and take them apart..
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

I've only attached night time photos. I will try to get the day photos on quickly. The HALO rings look great at night, but faded during daylight hours. Using the driver-side headlamp as reference, if you follow the LED lights from left to right where it curves upward, the last light is the front side marker light (White light / 194 Wedge Bulb). It appears to blend in the photos, but does not. It looks odd in contrast to the LED lights. The simple fix is a blue led replacement. Also, my rear Tail / Brake Lights, License Plate Lights, and 3rd Brake Light are LED aftermarkets too. I should be getting my HID Kit through delivery in the next few days. I ordered an H1 Low Beam Kit at 8000K and 35w, with slim ballast. I will take photos before I install them for a before and after. Going to Universal Studios with the family soon, so that HID Kit better do the trick as far as increasing the low beam output for night time driving.
Attached Thumbnails Spyder HALO Projector Lights-suburban-front-3.1.jpg   Spyder HALO Projector Lights-suburban-rear-1.1.jpg   Spyder HALO Projector Lights-suburban-front-1.01.jpg   Spyder HALO Projector Lights-suburban-front-2.1.jpg  
Old August 1st, 2011, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default halo

WOW your halos look brighter than mine.. did you wire them into the fog lights with the led wires aswell?? what model and brand are the tail lights, do they have a smoked lens aswell. did you get your hid kit off e-bay, if so can I have the place or item number. My wife said she had to drive with the highs on, she said it was like driving with just the driving light on and not the head lights.. I hope the new lights fix
the brightness problems. thanks for the pic's. I'll take some pic's and post them aswell..
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Are the LED tails by Eagle Eyes?

8,000K is going to be purple and not provide very much usable lite.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

hey 73shark do you have any pic's of your headlight or are the still OEM?? I need better lighting from my units, I really wish they didn't have the projectors in them..
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default I know this is a chevy forum!

Before all i wanted to state that although i drive a Ford, My girlfriend loves Chevy.

Now, ive been reading this thread, and i believe the same manufacture makes all these headlights, Spyder = Sonar,

the CCFL refers to the the halos, were the whole ring emits light, making it more visable during daylight hours, (kinda looks like a tiny flourescent office light ube that has been moulded into a circle) the regular halos just have two leds at the bottom that send light across the clear ring (often with ridges [little lines throughout the circle] to better capture the light).

as far as your driving lights go, i believe the bulbs that come for all the projectors made by this company are either H3 or H1, and the Hi beam take an H1 or 9006 bulb. (Mine is config. lo= H3 Hi=9006) , but all you have to do is check, pull off (gently) the rubber stopper looking thing behind the headlamp. and use google for example to see what bulb you have, for the most part it is written on the bulb, Eg. H3 bulb, its a small bulb with a single wire.

The stock bulbs that come with are not very good, even when properly aimed, i replaced mine with PIAA bulbs, and they are slightly better, but i think the problem is the actual projector, and a projector alone cost around $100~ . I purchased my spyder lights with foglights for $210. Thats four projectors total, i dont know how they make a profit if they are using quality ones. you get what you pay for.

I did though order some H3 HIDs (which by the way ive heard dont fit insiode the projectors cause the bulb is longer)
‪Halo LED Projector Headlights-GOOD IDEA OR RIPOFF?!?!!!!‬‏ - YouTube

...but they should arrive either tomorrow or the day after. (hopefully all goes well.)

Now ive been debating if looking cool in someones rear view mirror is worth sacrificing road visibility at night.

here are some pics of my lights
Attached Thumbnails Spyder HALO Projector Lights-close-up.jpg   Spyder HALO Projector Lights-front-far.jpg   Spyder HALO Projector Lights-front-close.jpg  

Last edited by themierduh; August 2nd, 2011 at 3:18 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Ravent:

No, I just did the standard wiring IAW the instructions. I'm not sure what the model is but I will look them up. It's chrome, not smoked. Since my burb is white, the chrome blends a lot better than the black. I didn't want the standard black & white contrast. Just like the 3rd Brake Light, its chrome or clear. The HIDs will arrive tomorrow (WED). As soon as I get them installed and re-adjust the headlamps, I'll take more pics.

Shark: Boy, I hope they're not purple! My research on the kelvin rating showed 6000K as the mostly white with a blue tint. The 8000K was more blue with a white tint. If that makes sense. If it's purple then looks like I have to go down to 6000K.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spyder HALO Projector Lights