Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure GMT900

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2012, 2:29 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure GMT900

Throttle Body Cleaning

Caution: Turn OFF the ignition before inserting fingers into the throttle bore. Unexpected movement of the throttle blade could cause personal injury.
Notice: Do not insert any tools into the throttle body bore in order to avoid damage to the throttle valve plate.

1. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement.
2. Inspect the throttle body bore and the throttle plate for deposits. You will need to open the throttle plate in order to inspect all surfaces.
Notice: Do not use any solvent that contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). This solvent may damage fuel system components.
3. Clean the throttle body bore and the throttle plate using a clean shop towel with GM Top Engine Cleaner, P/N 1052626, or AC-Delco Carburetor Tune-Up Conditioner, P/N X66-P, or an equivalent product.
4. Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement.
5. Perform the Throttle Learn Procedure. Refer to Throttle Learn.

Throttle Body Removal
Important: The intake manifold, throttle body, fuel injection rail, and fuel injectors may be removed as an assembly. If not servicing the individual components.

1. Remove the electrical wire harness connectors from the throttle body.
2. Remove the throttle body nuts and bolts.
3. Remove the throttle body.
4. Remove the throttle body gasket.
5. Discard the gasket.

Throttle Body Installation
Important: DO NOT use the throttle body gasket again. Install a NEW gasket during assembly.
1. Install the throttle body gasket to the intake manifold. Align the locating tab of the gasket with the notch in the manifold.
2. Install the throttle body , bolts and nuts.
3. Tighten the throttle body nuts and bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).

Throttle Learn
The engine control module (ECM) learns the idle position of the throttle plate to ensure the correct idle. Anytime the throttle body is cleaned or replaced, the ECM must learn the new throttle position. The idle may be unstable or a DTC may set if the throttle position is not learned.
Conditions for Running the Throttle Learn Procedure

• DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0107, P0108, P0111, P0112, P0113, P0506, and P0507 are not set.
• The engine speed is between 450-4,000 RPM.
• The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is greater than 5 kPa.
• The mass air flow (MAF) is greater than 2 g/s.
• The ignition 1 voltage is greater than 10 volts.
Throttle Learn

Important: Do NOT perform this procedure if DTCs are set. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle .
1. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
2. With a scan tool, monitor desired and actual RPM.
3. The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
4. Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
5. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
6. After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.
Important: During the drive cycle the check engine light may come on with idle speed DTCs. If idle speed codes are set, clear codes so the ECM can continue to learn.
If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at speeds above 70 km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.
After the dive cycle, the engine should be idling normally. ⇒ If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and repeat step 1.
Once the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs.
The following users liked this post:
salea (August 10th, 2022)
Old January 16th, 2013, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This procedure worked great on my 2007 Suburban. It did not want to Learn the throttle position so I did have to drive it as the directions said above 44 miles per hour. Afterwards it idled down very nicely and seems to work fine now.

Thanks for a great post!

Gregman
Old January 16th, 2013, 9:29 PM
Administrator

Gregman380 Welcome to the forum

Glad to hear it worked for you and thanks for taking the time to follow up that it did, follow up is what makes the forum work...
Old February 1st, 2014, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default 07 Tahoe throttle body

Good morning,
Thank you for the advise and directions. I will be receiving the TB this week and will advise on progress.

Thank you!!
Old February 10th, 2014, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Good afternoon. I decieded to clean my throttle body on my 1997 Suburban ls with the 5.7l, 168k mi. I followed your directions, except I also disconnected the negative side of the battery. Cleaned the throttle body thoroughly and removed the IAC to clean it as well. After I made sure I had all my nuts and bolts and none had fallen into the throttle body (I put a small towel in to make sure nothing fell in) I reinstalled it and took it for a drive around town. If the computer had to relearn the throttle position, it did it quickly. Not once did the check engine light come on. Now it idles smoother with a little bit smoother acceleration.
Old February 11th, 2014, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe 5.3 TB issue

Good morning and thank you for the information. I am going to tackle my repair this weekend end. I received a brand new throttle body but I am going to try cleaning mine again first.
Thanks
Ken
Howell, Mi
Old February 25th, 2014, 9:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just cleaned my tab a few days ago. I removed it to clean it. Opened the butterfly to clean. Also disconnected negative terminal before removing it. Now idle jumps occasionally. If I put it in park it jumps to 2000 rpm and slowly comes down. If I hit the gas in park it jumps to 2500 then hovers around 1500 until I put it in n or d. Drove it above 44 mph numerous times and still the same. I have a code reader but no scan tool. Any suggestions?
Old February 26th, 2014, 6:37 AM
Administrator

trainwreck91 give it some time, stop and go driving will yield the best results... but yeah its a bit unnerving but it does learn....
Old February 26th, 2014, 7:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reassuring pro. Hoping I don't have to make a trip to the dealer
Old February 26th, 2014, 8:01 AM
Administrator

The dealer can do the relearn but its going to cost you the 1 hour of service even though it only takes a few minutes to do...
Give it up to 4 days of driving and preferably stop and go driving...

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure GMT900