Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

00 Tracker belt squeek

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2013, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Tracker belt squeek

Hello, I have bad belt squeek. new belt, and tensioner and all other pulleys spin freely. Belt dressing stops it for a second and soap is working good but it always comes back and i just cant figure it out. I'm suspecting the ac pulley but not sure.

any help would be appreciated
Old February 16th, 2013, 6:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

best way to isolate this type of noise is with a mechanic's stethoscope. Remove the metal end and put the tube portion near each pulley. the source of the noise is easily pinpointed this way.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Belt Squeak

I Know this is a little late but was just browsing forum and saw this and thought I'd share my experience with my 2002 chevy tracker that may help you.

I had a similar problem with my belt making a terrible squeak and squeal. Particularly when idling in drive (noticeable most when in drive thru lines.) It sounded similar to a wet belt squeal but was having this issue during dry weather. After idling the vehicle in park with hood up I finally found the issue. What it was, was a small crack in the upper rad hose connecting rad to top of engine. What was happening was the small amounts of coolant were dripping directly on the belt and alternator if I'm not mistaken.

Called the dealership for a new upper rad hose as local part suppliers couldn't get the part. They wanted around $70 for a 8 inch piece of rubber. Needless to say I found a similar shaped hose at canadian tire and jimmy rigged a new hose temporarily until I went to local scrap yard and got the part for a couple dollars.

Hopes this helps!!
Old March 4th, 2013, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply and i havent figured it out yet. New belt, all pulleys and bearings seem fine exept for the water pump maybe. I had replaced it like 2 yrs agobut it seems to have a slight wobble to it. the squeek is mainly at higher rpm's and soap actually stops it for a little but it comes back after about 20 miles or so.

when i stand on the drivers side and look down at the water pump pulley, the belt comming from the idler pulley doesnt look straight, like its comming on an angle.
Old March 5th, 2013, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chet1185
thanks for the reply and i havent figured it out yet. New belt, all pulleys and bearings seem fine exept for the water pump maybe. I had replaced it like 2 yrs agobut it seems to have a slight wobble to it. the squeek is mainly at higher rpm's and soap actually stops it for a little but it comes back after about 20 miles or so.

when i stand on the drivers side and look down at the water pump pulley, the belt comming from the idler pulley doesnt look straight, like its comming on an angle.
All your belt points should line up. If one is mounted too far forward or back, you will wear the belt out much faster. I would look at the water pump mounts and see if they can be adjusted. If so its as simple as releasing tension on belt, and remove it. Align water pump mounts and re-install belt.

You may have not tightened a mount point to torque spec when replacing the water pump?
Old March 6th, 2013, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by the-herb420
All your belt points should line up. If one is mounted too far forward or back, you will wear the belt out much faster. I would look at the wateur pump mounts and see if they can be adjusted. If so its as simple as releasing tension on belt, and remove it. Align water pump mounts and re-install belt.

You may have not tightened a mount point to torque spec when replacing the water pump?
I will look at it this weekend,I got a new water pump gasket and i'm going to make sure the bolt are tightened to spec.
Old February 24th, 2014, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default AC compressor bearing noisey

I have a 2002 tracker, 2.0 L engine...can I just get a shorter belt and eliminate the AC pulley because I don't need the AC working.

if yes how do I find the part # to order the shorter belt?
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by swiftymun
I have a 2002 tracker, 2.0 L engine...can I just get a shorter belt and eliminate the AC pulley because I don't need the AC working.

if yes how do I find the part # to order the shorter belt?
Yes look at any part supplier book on belts (most common is goodyear belt book) In the book they will list several different belts for the same engine. they should say belt with a/c and without a/c. simply buy the one for the 2.0l engine without a/c.

additional info: the belt product numbers are recorded by length and by how many ribs so the first 3 numbers are the length,"K" then the number of ribs
(ex. 700K7 is a common honda belt for the V6) But depending on the company could be the last 3 numbers (ex.5070700)

hope this helps but yeah short answer your local parts supplier will have a belt number for both systems with a/c and without. very simple bypass