Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2.0 Timing Chain Life

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2015, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0 Timing Chain Life

New Member: 2002 Chevy Tracker w/ 2.0 4 cyl. twin cam, 135,000mi.
Bought this vehicle as my daughter will soon be getting her license...
Changed all filters and fluids so far, but I've heard horror stories about timing belts breaking and causing havoc...
The engine runs strong(for a 4 cylinder)... Should I be concerned about the condition of the timing chain?
Old February 18th, 2015, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not specific to the Tracker but generally speaking. You don't see many engines with timing chains any more, mostly rubber belts. With that said, typically is prescribed that you should change the timing belt at around 100k miles. Every car\manufacturer is different and I haven't checked whats recommended for the Tracker. If it does have a chain, actual breakage is unlikely. Most likely you'll get wear and spacing in the chain and it will put the engine more and more out of time over time. Belts are more prone to actual breakage which can, in the worst case scenario, total an engine. I've seen cars with 200k miles on them and the timing belt has never been changed. I'm new this forum and the Tracker, just bought an 04 for my wife last weekend. Let me know what you find/decide and if you change it yourself. Good luck!