Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2.0 timing help

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2017, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2.0 timing help

I am working on my 2003 tracker, 2'0, 4WD, replacing the timing chains. I have really messed up and am not sure what to do about it. After I removed the timing chain cover, I aligned the crankshaft sprocket key with the mark on the front of the block. This is where I went horribly wrong. I completely missed the next step in the Haynes manual I am using. Instead of being sure the camshaft sprockets were lined up, I went ahead and took off the tensioner, guides, sprockets, and chains. Let me note that I was very careful not to move the cams or the crank after I took off the chains. Of course I now realize everything seems to be one rotation shy of where it should be. The cam sprockets line up 180 from where they should be. I believe I needed to turn the crank one more turn before I took of the chains. My thought now is to put the chains back on and rotate the crank one more turn, thus rotating the cam sprockets to where they should be. I realize if I try to turn them independently, I will likely cause damage to the engine. Like I said, I have been very careful to make sure the crank and cams have not moved. I'm stuck to know exactly what to do now. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old February 1st, 2017, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

4clinder engine?
with the crank at tdc the 1 &4 pistons are at tdc and 2&3 are at bdc. rotate the crank 1/2 turn and all the pistons will be down half way allowing you to move the camshaft where you need them to be. them turn the crank back 1/2 turn
Old February 1st, 2017, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, thanks for the reply. Yes, a 4 cylinder. That sounds like exactly the information I need. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old February 8th, 2017, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Tomorrow turned into several days, but your help was spot on. After a few twisted off bolts and nuts, a lot of unclear instructions in the manual (haha...because I'm not a mechanic), and doing things in the wrong order, I finally got it back together today. I put in the oil and the coolant, reconnected the battery....hit the key and IT STARTED RIGHT UP. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have a water leak where the heater tube plugs in. I haven't figured out how to get it apart. I haven't found any information in the manual about it. It looks like it should just pull out after taking out the 2 bolts. It rotates and its "wobbly" , but it doesn't just pull out. I'm not sure how much force to put on it. I am wondering if there is a trick to getting it out and if it normal for it to be so hard to get apart?
Putting the timing chain in my 2003 Tracker was a lot of fun. It would have been much nicer to not have to do it in the winter. Fortunately, living in Ohio, we have had a very mild winter so far this year.
Old February 8th, 2017, 9:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

great work.

are you referring to the heater core hoses at the firewall?
Old February 9th, 2017, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

no, its not the heater hose area, its the steel tube that the top radiator hose plugs onto. It runs along the side of the engine above the manifold heat sheild, and turns at the back of the engine and has a connection there with an O ring.I've taken out the bolts that hols it in....one right at the connection at the rear of the engine, and one toward the front of the engine. The pipe is loose and I can move it around, it just will not come out.
Old February 9th, 2017, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tjtroy2
no, its not the heater hose area, its the steel tube that the top radiator hose plugs onto. It runs along the side of the engine above the manifold heat sheild, and turns at the back of the engine and has a connection there with an O ring.I've taken out the bolts that hols it in....one right at the connection at the rear of the engine, and one toward the front of the engine. The pipe is loose and I can move it around, it just will not come out.
I found out the part is called the inlet pipe. GM # 91177112..
Old February 9th, 2017, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Inlet tube

I got that tube off. As far as I could see, the only thing holding it was the old gasket. I put a slight bit of hear onto it to soften the rubber, and it popped right out. Thanks to everyone that took time to help me thru this project.