Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2000 Chev Tracker - Proportioning Valve

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2015, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chev Tracker - Proportioning Valve

I replaced the brake lines on this vehicle and my mechanic accidentally ripped off one of the screws of the proportioning valve. I could not find any wrecker close by that would have one still attached to the vehicle.

The dealer is asking for $420 and it will take up to 2 or 3 weeks for it to come in. This vehicle is 15 years old and it just does not justify the amount of money to spend on such vehicle.

Can anyone please let me know where I could get an used one but in working condition at a reasonable price?

I searched online and there were a few places which sell "universal kit" to replace but you must make modifications and myself would not be in a position doing such thing.

I have attached a picture of the valve so everyone knows what I am after.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
2000_Tracker.doc (158.5 KB, 588 views)
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Try Car-part.com

JR
Old October 20th, 2015, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Looks like I see the load sensitive proportioning valve, a.k.a. LSPV, in your photo. See pages 5-40 thru 5-42 in the GM 2000 Chevrolet Tracker Service Manual. You will have a difficult time finding that part used since only vehicles that did not have the ABS brake option had the LSPV. Most vehicles had the ABS option, thus no LSPV. I do not see the damage in your photo. Is there some way you could repair the damage? They forgot to set the LSPV properly at the factory. For a year or two I had no rear brakes. Very dangerous on wet/snowy/icy roads. The service manager told me there was nothing they could do about it. I finally figured out what the problem was and fixed it myself. I don't think I had the service manual yet at the time. As I recall you have to adjust, i.e. rotate, the LSPV so the spring is under substantial tension. Then you will have properly operating rear brakes. One of the two mounting holes in the LSPV is slotted to allow adjustment. The service manual gives you a measurement for proper setting. I think by ignoring my various complaints the dealer figured I would eventually buy a new vehicle. But, I am still driving it. I have a 1994 Geo Tracker also. Both vehicles are now pretty well rusted out. But, where else can you get an equivalent vehicle?