Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2015, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevrolet Tracker A/C Problems

A/C just suddenly quit working, I've done some troubleshooting. Where is a/c controller located in the dash? I removed glove box found blower motor resistor and relay to right of glove box. Do I have to remove control panel to find a/c controller? Any help in troubleshooting would be helpful!
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:24 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

What do you mean when you say the A/C suddenly quit working. Did the fan stop blowing? Is the fan blowing hot air? You need to be more specific. If it quit blowing air completely then check the relay, resistor, switch, wires and the fan motor.
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just repaired the A/C on my 2000 tracker. As Oldchevy mentioned a little more info helps.

My prob was resolved on the low side tube got leaks where the U pinch clamps behind the grill held the pipe to the metal on the bottom. Bone yard replacement from a suzuki viatra, not a grand. With the same 2.0. $16.50 and it was what I needed. Goes from the firewall to the compressor, 2 parts. One metal and one with a hose.

That said, Turn the air on, does the clutch en-gauge at the compressor? Fan working? Idiot light lights up on the A/C button when you press it in?

If the fan comes on, button lights up. Clutch dosen't engauge. You have coolant loss. There is a low side pressure switch that won't let the clutch engauge if low pressure.

They seldom go bad, located. Take the front grill off, upper pass side. Screws into the low side pipe. On the low side pipe. You can jumper to see if the clutch comes in. Engauges.

Have an A/C re-fill connector to see what the pressures are? Or better yet, an A/C manifold? Harbor freight has them, in-expensive. And a vacume pump that connects to a air compressor you will need also.

On finding a leak. Buy some freon with some leak detector and you need a black light. If the pressure is low. Add a can of it, it will make the clutch start. Running the leak stuff thru the system. Then run the black light over all the system to watch for the green glow where you have a leak.

This system takes .99 lbs of freon.

If the A/C light dosen't light up or the fan dosen't run. A different problem.

Last edited by locodave; August 11th, 2015 at 11:29 PM.