Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2014, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights

I'm curious to see if anyone else has Daytime Running lights on their Tracker? My parking lights are also on when the engine is on.
Is this normal?
I have another car that has daytime running lights but that's the only thing on and not the parking lights.

Is there a way to turn off daytime running lights? I prefer to have it off.
I checked the fuse boxes and didn't see a fuse for it.

Thanks
Old October 11th, 2014, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

At this time I could not find a way to turn off the running lights. The running lights are automatic. The running lights are normal.
Old January 28th, 2015, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

I just got a 99 tracker. Didn't like the auto headlights feature. The photo sensor must be bad becuase the headlights are on all the time. So I shorted out the emergency brake sensor switch (mounted near the pivot point on the handle), which normally disables the auto-on feature when the handle is pulled up a small amount. Now the computer "sees" the e-brake as on even though it isn't. So the headlights are now totally controlled by the manual switch - by me. The downside is that the brake idiot light on the dashboard is always on, but that doesn't bother me as much as having the headlights on all the time did.
Old February 18th, 2015, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought an 04, the headlights seem to be on all the time. With day running lamps, in my experience, they are different or not as bright as the actual head lights. However, it simply seems that the headlights are on all of the time. I didn't think it had auto lights but I have not had a chance to look things like that over yet.
Old February 20th, 2015, 1:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello,

I bought my 02 ZR-2 in late 2013. One of the headaches I am unable to resolve is the operation of the dome and map lights via doors. After reading some info, I removed the under-the-dash cartridge you see here and opened it up. The circuit board was burnt. Information stated this device operated the DRL = Daytime Running Lights as well. The info was right about the DRLs, because after I disconnected this item, they no longer work--but they did work before that. The automatic night "sentry" light operation is unaffected. You can find this aluminum rectangular case (size of a cigarette pack) mounted above and to the right of the brake pedal. I learned months back--I must have a shorted wire in the headliner--so I passed on rectifying the dome lights.

JR
Attached Thumbnails Daytime Running Lights-dsc00034.jpg   Daytime Running Lights-dsc00036.jpg  
Old February 20th, 2015, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks a ton JR. I know an electronics guy so I'm going to try to fix this rather than buying a new part. I'm also having trouble with the dome\map lights. Maybe this will fix it. I'll let everyone know how my attempted repair turns out.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Two steps to achieve manual headlights

I have a 1999 Tracker, and here is how I got rid of the daytime running lights (DRL) and automatic headlights. To disable the DRL you have to cut the red/white wire on a module tucked up under the dashboard on the driver's side. It is in pin position one.

To disable the automatic lights I unplugged the sensor. It was under a little cover on the passenger side dashboard near the front windshield.

Presto...manually controlled head lights...
Attached Thumbnails Daytime Running Lights-image.jpg  

Last edited by thefew; November 3rd, 2015 at 6:26 PM.
Old October 6th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I wonder if I do this modification of clipping the red/white wire and disconnect the sensor my headlights wont come on all by their selves in the middle of the night during a heavy rain storm. I installed a manual battery disconnect as a temporary fix.
Old October 8th, 2018, 3:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sodafire
I know this is an old thread but I wonder if I do this modification of clipping the red/white wire and disconnect the sensor my headlights wont come on all by their selves in the middle of the night during a heavy rain storm. I installed a manual battery disconnect as a temporary fix.
On many vehicles, inclding my 1998 K-1500, if for some reason I dont want my DRL's on, a simple click on the parking brake pedal, puts the DRL's out. I normally run with my headights on, even in my 2015 Bu' which I can shut-off. Its a safetly matter, in that using headlights during daylight, results in far less accidents.
Old October 14th, 2018, 10:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Setting the e-brake didnt work. The headlights still came on all by theirselves parked in my driveway with no one in the car and no key in the ignition, in the rain.