Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Door Cylinders - Good place to source replacements?

Old January 20th, 2017, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Cylinders - Good place to source replacements?

I am going to become the owner of a 2000 Tracker 2.0 4x4 from my cousin who lives near Chicago. As you can expect, someone else who lives in Chicago decided they wanted a 2000 Tracker without having to pay for it, but were unsuccessful. Both driver's and passenger's door cylinders are toast. The trunk one still works fine.

I'm bringing the car out of Chicago and into rural-ish Minnesota for my wife to drive. While we technically don't need to lock it, it would be nice for her to be able to lock it while at work.

eBay has a new single cylinder for $50 with two new keys. That's enough for me as the power locks work fine, but I'm wondering if the $20 Suzuki Vitara set with two locks and two keys will also work for us.

The internet is also sparce for information on if this came standard with GM's keyless entry system, and could just buy some keyless fobs to use with it as well.

I'm going to assume there will be other gremlins that pop up as we work on it (my cousin already found most of them, as he's an ex military mechanic and owns his own shop now) but that's the most pressing issue. I doubt any of the salvage yards on ebay selling parts would still have the keys for the vehicles in their lot. I'm assuming a standard GM cylinder would fit it if I move the hardware over, but without having the vehicle apart with a standard one to compare, it would be difficult to tell (I could steal the one off my Corsica's trunk for a few hours to look, but I don't think my wife wants to leave her door disassembled for a week while parts come in)

Thanks guys!
Old January 20th, 2017, 8:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

maybe a locksmith could replace the tumblers for less than 50$
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

I have ordered the $20 set on Ebay. They look exactly like the one's I've tried to fix on my 2002 Tracker 2-door. If this works, I'll have one key for the ignition/tailgate and another for both doors. Will let you know...
Old February 10th, 2017, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Lock cylinder is a good match for my 2002. For what its worth, one installed and it works fine.

Search this Thread