Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2014, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem

I towed my tracker with my bus from Florida to northern Georgia. I realized along the way that my bus output was kicking out a circuit breaker on the bus because of the load from the lights. (the bus wires were tied directly into the tracker lighting). After the bus was parked, we noticed that we had blown a fuse on the tracker tail lights. When I would replace the fuse, and turn on the lights, the fuse would blow instantly. I knew I had created a dead-short somehow.
We continued to drive short distances occasionally, before we realized that we didn't have brake lights either when the fuse was blown.

It took a few days work, but I found some melted wires behind the glove box, going into one of the pair of relays. The copper was still good, but the insulation was melted about six inches.

I taped up the wires, replaced the fuse, and the lights worked perfectly. I was very happy.

Then, I jumped into the seat, and it wouldn't start. Nothing! No cranking, no ignition, nothing.

Since then, I have worked many days and can't find the problem. I can put a jumper wire on the starter and it cranks, but no power to the distributor, no power anywhere under the hood.

I had a mechanic put a computer on it and he says there are no codes, but it is talking to the ECM. I asked if the ECM could be bad. He said that because he got some reading, that the ECM should be good.

No more ideas. I don't know where to go from here.

Thoughts?

Dave