Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Have to remove trans. What should I check/replace?

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2015, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to remove trans. What should I check/replace?

'99 Tracker, 2.0L 4WD

I have to pull the transmission to replace the crankshaft position sensor. Are there any other things I should check or replace while I have it out (engine seals, for example)?
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:21 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I would check to see if there are any freeze plugs on the back of the block and change them while the transmission is off. With the transmission off the labor is already done and it would save a lot of work later when they do start to leak.
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

I have a Haynes manual and I don't see any mention of freeze plugs. Also, I can't find replacements on RockAuto. So, I'm assuming this engine doesn't have them?

I'm mostly concerned with any oil gaskets that may be easier, or only possible to do, while the trans is out. Are you aware of any of those?
Old January 3rd, 2016, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Well there is always the rear seal.
Old February 21st, 2016, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone know what all needs to be disconnected from the automatic transmission before removal? My crappy Haynes manual doesn't seem well suited for the model I have. It's for Samurai/Sidekick/X-90 & Vitara and Geo & Chevy Tracker 1986-2001.

Automatic transmission removal:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable
2. Remove the transfer shift control lever (see manual transmission shift lever removal)
3. Disconnect the wiring harness couplers, breather hose clamp, kickdown cable and vacuum hoses.
4. Raise vehicle

#2 and #3 aren't making sense. I've removed the transfer case boot and just see a few small wires on top of the transfer case. Nothing to disconnect. The regular transmission shifter looks to be all electronic. I don't see any wiring harness that would be pulled by the transmission. I'm not sure what kickdown cable they're talking about, and I don't see a breather hose or any vacuum hoses.