Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

My headlights won't turn off.

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2011, 12:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My headlights won't turn off.

I have a '89 Tracker. About a year ago, the high beams stopped working on on the passenger's side (I think that is the side) and the HB indicator stopped working. If you flip the lever, one side goes to HB and the other one stays on low-beam.

Then, on Tuesday, I came home and my boy says that the lights are on...I look at it. The switch is off and the head lights are on. They do not switch to HBs. I don't remember what they do if you pull back on the lever. If you turn them on, they appear to work the same as before (1st paragraph).

So, why did my headlights mysteryiosly turn on and why won't they turn off. I had to disconnect the battery to get the lights to go off.

How do I fix the dern thing? Is there a realy for the headlights?

Last edited by Stinky; February 22nd, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old November 24th, 2012, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Headlight Fix

Hope you got this sussed, here is what I just discovered today.

This is a fix for this issue. May be related on 1999~2004 Vitaras, but was discovered on my 2000 Tracker.

My headlights came on highbeam while driving, and then my heater blower failed. I pulled the fuses, went to work. Replaced fuses, left work, when clutch peddle depressed, high beams went off, when released, high beams came on again. 10 minutes later, both headlight fuses blew.

What I discovered: With a meter on resistance hooked up between ground and one headlight wire, At some times, I could see 50 Ohms, other times not much, sometimes 500 Ohms. I removed the lower access panel below the steering wheel an started looking. I noticed the wiring harness, above the steering column, looked like it might have been pinched at assembly, onto the assembly that holds the brake/clutch peddle. After much swearing, I managed to remove the hole assembly after disconnecting all the wires going to the clutch switches and brake light switch, and removing 4 nuts, and 3 bolts. After cutting open the plastic harness cover, I found 6 wires melted together right where it was pinched on the right side of the steering column, at the top of the Brake cylinder mounting studs. 20 minutes of butt splicing and using thick special electrical tape, re wrapping the harness, all was normal again! Total time of repair from investigation start to having an assembled running vehicle again, 5.5 hours. Tools used, Socket wrench 10 MM with extensions, 12 mm with extensions, phillips screwdriver, pliers (Removing pivot studs on peddles) Special electrical tape, crimpers, Loom, a cut up rad hose around sharp bits on peddle assy. Special knowledge, non, just remember to disconnect the battery first, and remove the bracket to the right of the steering column holding the auto lock and Daytime running light module (One 10MM nut)!

I saw a load of Tracker owners (1991 and up through 2002) complaining of similar issues online. After looking at my similar mileage Vitara, and my buddies heavily abused off-road Vitara, I did not see the same alignment of the harness so close to the pinch point. Hope this helps anyone with similar issues!