Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Parasitic battery drain in radio wiring?

Old December 11th, 2014, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parasitic battery drain in radio wiring?

The radio in my 1999 ChevroletTracker is causing a battery drain which I can't seem to fix. If I leave the radio plugged in my Tracker won't start after a day and a half off.
I determined that it is the radio draining the battery using a multimeter. I isolated the exterior and interior fuse circuits, then disconnected one device on that circuit at a time (which were just the interior lighting).
When the car is off and the radio is connected the radio still drains 0.25 amps constantly. If I press the 'recall' button the drain goes up to 0.6 amps (the clock lights up for a few seconds), but for some reason does not go back down. When the radio is disconnected the draw is 0.01 amps (normal).
I tried two other radios (thinking that my radio just shorted out) but got the same exact result of 0.25 amps drain. This leads me to believe that the problem is in the wiring maybe?
--->> Has anybody else had any experience with this problem? Any advice would be appreciated. Really hoping I don't have to have pay the price for a technician to rewire all of it.