Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Radiator Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2015, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Transmission Cooler

HI All.. I have replaced my kids 01 Trackers Radiator tonight.. was connecting the driver side Transmission Cooling line.. and apparently stripped the Male Threads.. I don't feel I over tighten the fitting, but I'm sure the parts store will not accept it back as a return... I am located in North Central Alabama. .and have been told the Transmission Cooler, is actually a Warmer. .. That I could loop the lines together and be done with it...
Is there any truth to this?? Anyone have a suggestions on a fix for this issue??
Thanks for any help offered...
Old December 12th, 2015, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

maybe could chase the threads with a cleaner tool and salvage it?
Old December 13th, 2015, 9:53 AM
CF Veteran

chasing pipe threads usually doesn't turn out very well, as far as bypassing the cooler personally I'd be more comfortable seeing if you could find an aftermarket remote cooler that's reasonably priced. If the vehicle isn't used in heavy load situations it probably wouldn't be a big deal but usually the engineers put things there for a reason.

The cooler is a cooler, I guess I could see the theory of someone saying it warms the fluid but that's not the purpose of it, after all theres the radiator doesn't have full flow if the thermostat isn't open so you'd be warming the fluid after the engine is already at operating temp.
Old December 19th, 2015, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

tranny coolers are designed to cool the transmission,disconnecting it from your transmission will cause premature failure.just like a radiator cools your engine.you could either try to chase the threads or install a after market tranny cooler.
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Update* I removed the Radiator and returned it back to the Part Store with no problem. Oddly one of the Cooling Lines didn't mate well on the Flair Fitting.. So I replaced the one fitting on the Hose with the Fitting that come with the new Radiator and had not problem..
Thanks for the help and suggestions..
Old February 27th, 2016, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

is there a video that might help in changing the radiator??