Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Rough Idle after changing spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2014, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle after changing spark plugs?

Have a '99 Tracker with the 1.6L and have been trying to fix her up (over 160K miles). Timing replaced 5 years ago, belts changed about 2 years ago, & just replaced radiator, thermostat, upper & lower hoses, and new spark plugs. She ran fine the day of (yesterday) but, now is running with a miss, like the timing is off. Thinking this is just an ignition coils and wire set issue, since it's the only thing not change out but, figured better ask anyways. Do I have to reset the computer after a plug change, or should I assume the worst and start looking at the timing if the coils and wires are in good shape? Thanks
Old May 20th, 2014, 8:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default '99 Tracker spark plugs and computer

I recently replaced the spark plugs on my '99 Tracker. I did not have to reset the vehicle computer. The vehicle runs fine...now. It did not run well immediately after changing the plugs. Having the #2 and #3 spark plug wires reversed will do that, I suppose. I swapped the wires and it runs great. Surprised it even started.
My point is, hopefully it's just a loose connection in your spark plug wires and NOT in the vehicle computer. Good luck.

QUOTE=Lowky;276018]Have a '99 Tracker with the 1.6L and have been trying to fix her up (over 160K miles). Timing replaced 5 years ago, belts changed about 2 years ago, & just replaced radiator, thermostat, upper & lower hoses, and new spark plugs. She ran fine the day of (yesterday) but, now is running with a miss, like the timing is off. Thinking this is just an ignition coils and wire set issue, since it's the only thing not change out but, figured better ask anyways. Do I have to reset the computer after a plug change, or should I assume the worst and start looking at the timing if the coils and wires are in good shape? Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it turned out to be the Ignition coils, had to replace both to be safe & the plug wires, and the old girl is back up and running again.