Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Tracker 2003

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2011, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker 2003

Hi Everybody!

I bought a 2003 tracker 4 months ago and I think it might be time to change the oil. In the manual it says: "SAE 5W-30 is the only viscosity grade recommended for your vehicle", and, "Do not use other viscosity grade oils, such as SAE 1 OW-40 or SAE 20W-50 under any conditions."

However, I have read and been told that SAE 20W-50 should be used for older engines.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Colin
Old November 24th, 2014, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Go with what the manufacturer recommends. You may try something like Valvoline Max-Life oil for older engines, as it is supposed to soften up oil seals and help prevent leaks. Also, if you feel that added protection is necessary, Lucas makes a oil stabilizer that is compatible with lower viscosity engine oils - it's the one for engines running synthetic oil, and is much thinner than the original Lucas product.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Follow up: I just had my 2003 Trackers oil changed. I used 5 quarts of Valvoline Max Life Synthetic blend and a half a quart of the Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer, just as I recommended in my earlier post. The engine "purrs" like a kitten now, and knowing that the Lucas product is in there gives me peace of mind by knowing that there won't be any cold-start issues. I'm going to replace ALL the fluids - front & rear differentials will get Lucas 80w 90 gear oil, the transfer case will get Genuine AC Delco Synchromesh gear oil, and the auto transmission is getting a fresh fill-up of Castrol Dexron III compatible auto transmission oil. As far as I'm concerned any vehicle that makes it to 137,000 miles deserves to have all its fluids replaced! Perhaps I can get another 137,000 miles out of my Tracker. New shocks and struts are in order as well. I just had the rear shocks replaced and good thing, as the top mounting bolts were nearly rusted in two on both of the old factory installed shocks! My mechanic nearly twisted one of the rusted bolts in two when he removed the nut. Wouldn't have been nice for the shock to break free while driving. The front struts and strut mounts will be replaced as soon as my mechanic comes back to the shop after the holidays. The KYB GasAdjust rear shocks really improved the ride, too.